• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

An Empty Shirt

Those who only teach because it's a cool gig and not to create a betterment, both in techniques as well as self within their students...these type of instructors of the MA are no better or more than an empty shirt.

Your thoughts please...let the discussions begin...hopefully.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I teach to get better. Giving the techniques to new students makes me remember my early belt techniques, forces me to work on them, and, in turn, makes me a better martial artist.

I don't think I've ever mat an instructor who did it for the money... I mean... what money? lol ;)

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

Teaching is an art in and of itself; an instructor who teaches for selfish reasons but is good at what he does is better than an instructor who teaches for selfless, noble reasons but isn't capable of teaching well. I think that as long as the quality of the instruction is high, what motivates the teacher is immaterial.

In other words, I'm going to respectfully disagree with Sensei8.

They might come back and fill it again once whatever is going on in their head runs through. Also, they may not care about betterment and the like - but they might be REALLY GOOD at what they do, and a good teacher.

We had dealt with someone like that at one point. We eventually parted ways with them over their flakiness, but even today we acknowledge that the guy is really good at what he does and that he taught good skills. And i'm told that he's grown into the shirt anyways, so it might not matter.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I think it would be hard to teach, and not work towards betterment. Teaching offers new challenges every time I step on the floor, whether its with a group of 4-7 year olds, or adult black belts.