• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Labor Day

KickChick

Today Sept. 2, 2002 is .... Labor Day, legal holiday celebrated on the first Monday in September in the United States, Puerto Rico, the Canal Zone, and the Virgin Islands. The celebration of Labor Day, in honor of the working class, was initiated in the U.S. in 1882 by the Knights of Labor, who held a large parade in New York City. In 1884 the group held a parade on the first Monday of September and passed a resolution to hold all future parades on that day and to designate the day as Labor Day. Subsequently other worker organizations began to agitate for state legislatures to declare the day a legal holiday. In March 1887, the first law to that effect was passed in Colorado, followed by New York, Massachusetts, and New Jersey. In 1894 the U.S. Congress made the day a legal holiday. Parades, and speeches by labor leaders and political figures, mark Labor Day celebrations.

"Labor Day," Microsoft® Encarta® Online Encyclopedia 2002

http://encarta.msn.com © 1997-2002 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Labor Day is celebrated in Canada on the first Monday in September. The first parades and rallies to honor workers were held in 1872 in Ottawa and Toronto, and the September date was officially recognized by Parliament in 1894.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yep today was labor day.

It was also my 21st birthday and my grandparents anniversary.

Im 21 today. Didnt get to do anything. Maybe next weekend. Just didnt have any money and had other things to do. (two papers due on thursday for college) Well happy birthday to me.

:karate: :wink: :) 8)

woo congrats

But you gotta think....shouldn't the holiday really be "laborERs' day"? Otherwise, it's a day of labor! So why do you get off of work :lol:

Anyway thanks for the info, KickChick. As always, I feel much more informed :D

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Happy Birthday BlueDragon... 21 :D that's one of the best birth days!!~~~congrats to you! (and grandma & gramps too!)

I know .... it should be "Laborer's Day :) .... or it sounds like the day to have "labor pains" :o Imagine what Labor day is like in the maternity ward?? :P

Well anyway, hope all you laborers had a good one.... Now its off to work I go :roll:

Thanks everyone. I think im going out this weekend to celebrate my birthday. Might want to stock up on the asprin... :lol:

Send me your websites kickchick so I can put them on my page. That is if you want them on there. Dont know if you have been to it lately. Have changed and added some things to it.

:karate: