• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training vs responsibilities

JustLuke

I go to train everyday. If someone asks me to be somewhere or do something, I just tell them that I have karate. I never let anything get in the way of my training. Karate is a way of life.

:karate:

I'm happy that you feel so strongly about your training....however, "never" and "anything" are 2 very absolute words. After 40 years of time in, I would now never make such a statement. I agree that Karate can be a way of life, however, Karate is not life.

Chris

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always considered self-discipline to be one of the most valuable skills that one can learn from studying Karate.

It seems to me that doing what one should do rather than what one wants to do is a sterling example of the fruitful use of self-discipline, which is why I have a hard time accepting the idea that one should put Karate ahead of one's other commitments. In this way, Karate can enhance day-to-day life rather than act as some sort of refuge from it.

I've always considered self-discipline to be one of the most valuable skills that one can learn from studying Karate.

It seems to me that doing what one should do rather than what one wants to do is a sterling example of the fruitful use of self-discipline, which is why I have a hard time accepting the idea that one should put Karate ahead of one's other commitments. In this way, Karate can enhance day-to-day life rather than act as some sort of refuge from it.

I agree, to me Karate is the, sort of, embusen of life (without the returning to the beginning bit :D ) and I try to use my discipline to guide my life. It even works sometimes :D

I go to train everyday. If someone asks me to be somewhere or do something, I just tell them that I have karate. I never let anything get in the way of my training. Karate is a way of life.

:karate:

I'm happy that you feel so strongly about your training....however, "never" and "anything" are 2 very absolute words. After 40 years of time in, I would now never make such a statement. I agree that Karate can be a way of life, however, Karate is not life.

FP,

My apologies if I appeared harsh. When I was single and younger, martial arts training was high on my list of priorities. As I got older, married and had kids, and my responsibilities increased, my time on the floor decreased. My love of the arts did not lessen at all. In fact, the lessons that I learned on the dojo floor helped me be a better husband, father and person.

If you train correctly, have the right instructors and keep things in perspective, your training will become part of almost everything you do. You and It will be inseparable.

Now I understand that training does not occur solely on the dojo floor. Now I understand that proper martial arts training teaches much more than how to fight.

It takes more than four walls and a roof to make a dojo, and that it takes more than a tight fist to correctly practice the arts.

Make the world your Dojo!

Best,

Chris

Chris

Karate can be a way of life, however, Karate is not life.

^ this is so well said, it needed to be quoted.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

Even dialling down the extremism a handful of notches, hasn't anyone ever experienced anything like this attitude? Perhaps I've mixed with the wrong people... :D

No, can't say I have. If those are truly the ideology of your group, I would suggest another group... what are you part of? Cobra Kai? lol

Strike first strike hard show no mercy! Cobra Kai for life! Woooo!

Oh dear, I hate that movie but love the 80's cheesiness.

Checkout my Insta and my original music: https://www.instagram.com/andrewmurphy1992/

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy

No, can't say I have. If those are truly the ideology of your group, I would suggest another group... what are you part of? Cobra Kai? lol

Strike first strike hard show no mercy! Cobra Kai for life! Woooo!

Oh dear, I hate that movie but love the 80's cheesiness.

BIB Really, I absolutely adore the original version, its a guilty pleasure of mine to this day. :D

OSU, as one gets older, responsibilities can trump even our greatest passions in life... but as karate is a way of life, we can take what we learn there everywhere we go.

It's easier when you don't have to support yourself and others yet, heh.

Our Shihan, even, skips class when he has important stuff to do. I haven't seen him in a couple weeks in fact. *misses him*

I don't know what to do with myself when he's not there. It's too weird not being in trouble, LOL!

OSU

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe too much of anything is not good.... Physically and mentally... you need to compartmentalise yourself, so that you attend to all the responsibilities that you have. For a student... study, family and friends, karate...

Adult: work, family and friends , karate etc.... There needs to be a healthy balance of all..... overdose of karate is also not a good thing due to chances of injury and your mind needs time to assimilate what you have learnt.... Karate training does not have to be all physical...

I am sure many others do something similar . On my way to work (which is about a 50 min commute one way), I try to recall what training I did the previous day or try to visualise a kata or think about what attack and defence would I do in different situations etc...

There are other ways you can practice karate outside the dojo...... For eg Sometimes if the train is crowded I might even stand in a corner ,in sanchin dachi or heika dachi ( in a non- conspicuous way of course lol ) and see how I can balance myself without holding any support... or try to use tai sabaki to avoid fellow commuters in a jam-packed train station etc...