• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training vs responsibilities

JustLuke

I recently hear a rant from a Karateka that went something like this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can't train because you've been told that you need to mow the lawn?

You can't train because the boss has asked you to work extra hours?

You can't train because your wife wants you to go and do the shopping with her?

You can't train because you've been told that you need to spend more time with your kids?

You can't train because you've been told that you need to save the training fees to help pay the bills?

... ALL EXCUSES!

If you are really committed to Karate, you'll not let anything - or anyone! - get in the way of your training. If you skip training or train less than you'd like then you've got your priorities wrong.

To succeed you need to be able to say "No. I've got training to do." - even if this means you lose your job, your friends and relationships. Karate is a way of life, not a hobby.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, although I'm passionate about Karate, I'd drop it in a heartbeat if I had to choose between my training and my loved ones. I'd like to think that this is a healthy position to take; an example of the strength of character that Karate seeks to instil in a person, but I'm sure that some "hardcore" practitioners would disagree.

What do others think?

What is a healthy balance to strike between your responsibilities and your karate?

Have you ever got into difficulty finding/maintaining this balance?

Would you abandon your karate if your loved ones believed that it was preventing you from attending to your other responsibilities?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's actually an immature attitude in regards to karate. Karate is supposed to improve your life not take it over. If you are training so much that it is negatively influencing everything else then you are an irresponsible karateka plain and simple. You fit your training in around your life - not your life around your training.

Unfortunately, we all have other priorities and as much as I enjoy Karate and train hard, my family and financial security will ALWAYS come first. So, if I am neglecting my wife or children, have to pay a big bill on the horizon, or have to help my wife run the house (shopping, housework) or need to work extra hours in order to cover myself financially, then I'm afraid that Karate goes to the bottom of the list.

I agree with Kuma, its an immature point of view imo!

Edit: Your post confused me a little. The bit under the dotted line looks like a personal tag or caption which I rarely read. I originally thought the top part was your own pov :o

Wow, that's kind of extremist. You should never jeopardize your job for a martial art, especially if you like it.

Kuma said it the best

You fit your training in around your life - not your life around your training.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

Even dialling down the extremism a handful of notches, hasn't anyone ever experienced anything like this attitude? Perhaps I've mixed with the wrong people... :D

Even dialling down the extremism a handful of notches, hasn't anyone ever experienced anything like this attitude? Perhaps I've mixed with the wrong people... :D

No, can't say I have. If those are truly the ideology of your group, I would suggest another group... what are you part of? Cobra Kai? lol

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

Miyagi Chojun Sendai, the founder of Okinawan Goju Karate-do said:

"Family first,

Then Work/School,

Then Karate"

Wise and timeless thoughts, IMHO (and I say this as one who at one four year stretch of time concurrently training under 3 different instructors, training 7 days a week, 3-7 hours a day, on a regular basis...and who has traveled with my teacher to teach our branch dojo, often 3-4 times a year, logging in over 40 hours a week on the dojo floor)

Chris

Chris

The cynic in me say's : is the instructor after the money ? Another question would be, how old is the instructor. You have to balance life, work and training.

As Chunmonchek points out Miyagi's saying

"Family first, work second, then Karate".

I've gone through school, work, loosing jobs, moving around the country, marriage, shift work, kids, the works. I've always maintained my training, with the balance of commitment and priorities. Are they excuses or reasons ?

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Sounds like that quote is form someone who hasn't really had a family and a life where they really needed to work to survive.

If I have something really important going on, I skip class. I call in and let them know I am not coming, but I skip class. I might practice a little more outside of class to make up for it.

I think there really needs to be a healthy balance, in all things.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

I go to train everyday. If someone asks me to be somewhere or do something, I just tell them that I have karate. I never let anything get in the way of my training. Karate is a way of life.

:karate:

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)