• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've been to my first karate tournament!

FangPwnsAll7

Hey guys. I've been to my very first karate tournament. I never thought I'd do so well in it because I'm only a yellow belt, but I pulled it off somehow. I managed to get 1 medal in sparring. I'm excited that I got to participate in my first tournament. It was in Chicago. The plane ride didn't take long to get there. Anyway I posted to say that I had a lot of fun at this tournament and I am looking forward to participating in the local one this October.

Were you nervous/excited on your first karate tournament? :karate:

:bowofrespect:

TANG SOO!

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congratulations on your first tournament. If you had fun and met some like minded people you did the right thing. I'ved competed many times and I still get a little nervous or excited every time I compete.

I still have a bit of nerves at every tournament I do, and I've competed in a lot of different venues. A bit of excitement is good, your body needs some psychological arousal to be prepped to it's best.

If you get back to Chicago to compete let us know. A few of us are in the state, and I'm even close to the city. It'd be cool to see some forum members compete.

I still have a bit of nerves at every tournament I do, and I've competed in a lot of different venues. A bit of excitement is good, your body needs some psychological arousal to be prepped to it's best.

If you get back to Chicago to compete let us know. A few of us are in the state, and I'm even close to the city. It'd be cool to see some forum members compete.

Thanks! I will.

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)

Well done on participating and getting a medal!

I am always nervous at tournaments, haven't done one in a while because my current club doesn't participate in them.

Really does show how different things are between the US and the UK mentality. I would never consider getting a plane to anywhere in the UK. If the tournament isn't local I never really take part. I think air fares and fuel costs over here are just too prohibitive.

Congratulations on your win!

I remember the first tournament that I attended way back in the late 80s/early 90s. It was a daunting experience but a good one, and it was my first exposure to Karate styles other than my own.

Recalling it now, the palpable disdain/rivalry between Shotokan (my style at the time) and Shotokai seems both amusing and silly in equal parts.

Congratulations on your medal!

I was REALLY nervous at my first tournament. Funny thing is, I was about your age and about your rank when I went (I might have been Orange?) I ended up placing in both Kata and Sparring.

My last one was last year. First tournament after a 10 year hiatus, was there as a 2nd Kyu (2nd brown) and ended up getting first in Weapons kata, and 3rd in Traditional Kata.

I didn't place in sparring this time around :(

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

Really does show how different things are between the US and the UK mentality. I would never consider getting a plane to anywhere in the UK. If the tournament isn't local I never really take part. I think air fares and fuel costs over here are just too prohibitive.

Just depends what you can manage. Lots of people I know fly from England/Wales up to Scotland (or vice-versa) for competitions. I would but I actually like driving and have driven over 4.5 hrs for competitions before.

Congrats FangPwnsAll7 :up:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius