• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

post your beginning form

chrisw08

Very well done Fang!

Man, I really need to make a video, but I really want to wait until I get my white jacket and embroidered belt... bah, we'll see, maybe I'll just do one real quick before they arrive.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hah, funnily enough, I actually learned Pinan 1 before I learned Taikyoku 1, because my Sensei felt that Taikyoku 1-3 were a waste of time, and that it was better to just go straight to Pinan 1. When we joined up with a formal dojo, however, I had to learn the Taikyokus.

Actually his Sensei, now our Shihan, also didn't teach him the Taikyokus back in the 70s. They started, formally as an org, using it I guess in the early 1980s, around when he got his Shodan or Nidan... so I ended up teaching him and another nidan from Back In The Day how to do the Taikyoku series. Great students, no attitude, haha!

I don't know if Sosai always had people doing Taikyoku, in Kyokushin... Don Buck left IKO for a long time, and then came back again. So I am not sure, heh.

I'll see about taking some videos in a while. I'll do both Taikyoku 1 and Pinan 1, in my particular lineage's style. The Taikyoku tend to be simpler than the norm, but a number of the other katas, including Pinan 1, are a tiny bit fancier, with just a few slight changes to make it a bit more complicated.

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• 2 weeks later...

I remembered this thread when I got to the dojo yesterday, so before I did anything else I made sure to record the first kata in the Shorinkan curriculum to add to this thread. I'm stiff and my right side seems to have had an issue (dropping the last punch and the blocks aren't in front of the shoulder) but otherwise it isn't too terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZP_Dr1jBpE&feature=youtu.be

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I remembered this thread when I got to the dojo yesterday, so before I did anything else I made sure to record the first kata in the Shorinkan curriculum to add to this thread. I'm stiff and my right side seems to have had an issue (dropping the last punch and the blocks aren't in front of the shoulder) but otherwise it isn't too terrible.

Interesting! So, in ShorinKan you don't actually follow an embusen as such, you move only forward and backward?

Your technique is neat, tidy and powerful. Impressive.

Don't criticise yourself, had you not said anything, I wouldn't have noticed!

OSU

Interesting! So, in ShorinKan you don't actually follow an embusen as such, you move only forward and backward?

Your technique is neat, tidy and powerful. Impressive.

Don't criticise yourself, had you not said anything, I wouldn't have noticed!

OSU

For the three Kihon Kata (the other two are very much like this one--the second has you punch to face level going forward and do a cross block and low block going back, while the third has you high block going forward and cross block going back) we do just go straight forward and straight back, and Fukyu no Kata is much the same but you turn around to go back the way you came. They are really just formalized floor drills to get new students used to practicing some basic techniques in sequence in the air while visualizing what they are doing. After those we put them through the "real" kata, so to speak.

As far as criticizing myself--I'm afraid that's just how I am. Still, it does mean I can work on the problems that I find and do my best to fix them :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I think most will be some version of either the Taikyoku kata or the Pinan/Heian kata. For Goju Ryu I remember the Gekisai kata as being the first kata I was taught.

The rebel in me wants to go back a little further on karate's roots and start everyone with naihanchi/tekki. But I think people's heads would explode if there were no Pinan/Hiean series or a Taikyoko

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Nice kata across the board.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think most will be some version of either the Taikyoku kata or the Pinan/Heian kata. For Goju Ryu I remember the Gekisai kata as being the first kata I was taught.

The rebel in me wants to go back a little further on karate's roots and start everyone with naihanchi/tekki. But I think people's heads would explode if there were no Pinan/Hiean series or a Taikyoko

You know...I can only imagine that they'd be quite fine with your switch because the Naihanchi/Tekki series, imho, is so dynamic, I think that they'd eventually forget about the Pinan/Heian series all together...well...except the die-hard-in-the-wool who can't stand change, even a little.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!