• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs

Groinstrike

Since starting training for law enforcement i have started to buy in to the idea that Colonel Grossman has that people are generally broken up into three groups.

Sheep-People that are productive and good members of society, but are not capable of violence.

Wolves-Criminal, dirtbags, and other sociopaths that feed off the sheep.

Sheepdogs-Good productive citizens that are capable of violence in the capacity necesary to protect the sheep.

I believe that this may be a bit over-simplified but im started to agree with this basic concept.

As martial artists we mostly fall into the category of sheepdogs, any one out there have any thoughts that would expound on this theory or more categories that people may fall in????

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like the simple three categories. I do not think there needs to be any more categories, but there is room for sub-categories and some cross pollination between the three main categories.

I do think that it is an over simplified to say that because you practice MA's you are a sheepdog. The difference between sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves is a mindset, not a physical practice. Yes a practicing MA is capable for more, but are they mentally able to in a given situation?

While I agree with the general concept of these three categories (although I do know that some people get upset when you assign animal characteristics to humans) but I think Evil Dave is correct. I know martial artists who are NOT capable of violence, despite training in techniques designed to inflict violence. As a matter of fact, I actually got into a discussion on a martial artist's blog about that very thing.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Since starting training for law enforcement i have started to buy in to the idea that Colonel Grossman has that people are generally broken up into three groups.

Sheep-People that are productive and good members of society, but are not capable of violence.

Wolves-Criminal, dirtbags, and other sociopaths that feed off the sheep.

Sheepdogs-Good productive citizens that are capable of violence in the capacity necesary to protect the sheep.

I believe that this may be a bit over-simplified but im started to agree with this basic concept.

As martial artists we mostly fall into the category of sheepdogs, any one out there have any thoughts that would expound on this theory or more categories that people may fall in????

On Violence? Good read, as is On Killing. I'd be very interested in one of his lectures as well.

Sheepdogs aren't just capable of violence, but willing to commit violence in order to protect society. Anyone is capable of violence. Many are capable in a capacity to protect another. However, the number willing to carry out violence in defense of not only themselves or those they know and love, but a stranger is not so great.

And while many martial artists are capable of violence due to their training, that does not make each of them sheepdogs. However, those who have taken an eye toward practical defense and are willing to take steps when needed to act in defense of not just their immediate circle, but people at large, when called on can be categorized as sheepdogs. There is a dividing line there and it should be recognized. While I don't hesitate to put those in military service and law enforcement there, not every martial artist fits Col. Grossman's description.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I think the classification system is spot on. The problem is that what and who you are changes completely based on whoever is assigning a category to you. It's all a matter of perspective. Every terrorist on Earth calls himself a freedom fighter.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

I'd like to think that Martial Artists fall under the sheepdog category, as do law enforcement officers (LEOs). Unfortunately, I don't think that is the case. There are some people out there doing MAs that don't have the capacity to commit violence if they need to. Unfortunately, there are also LEOs out there that are the same way. I watched a video at academy that we actually did some extra work on in which an LEO did not pull the trigger in a situation where it was obviously needed until it was too late.

That said, I do think the right training can help some people see that they are sheepdogs. That said, I do think those three categories do cover the bases pretty well, and I'm not sure what other categories could be added in to simplify things more.

I also think part of this discussion should be the nature verse nurture argument. Some people are born into their category, while others can change, even 'just for the moment' their category through training, conditioning and experience in life.

For this discussion I would say that as MA's we train, while LEO's, soldiers, etc {including 'some' MA training} are in the conditioning category.

Also, it is important to try to educate the sheep, and not simply be contemptuous of them.

What? Don't tell me you've never yelled condescending things at the victim in a horror movie.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

What? Don't tell me you've never yelled condescending things at the victim in a horror movie.

:( guilty :lol:

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█