• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just had the training session from HELL!!!!!

What a terrible session. Everything went wrong,I was pulled up on just about everything.

I get very focused in the Dojo and when I get my concentration broken by someone who is pulling me up on technique, my mind just empties and I can't refocus. It all started during Bassai Dai, the half step into Shuto (the third to last move) my foot stuck to the floor and I didn't complete the half step, so he made everyone start again and this time, I made so many mistakes because my concentration was broken. I even went blank on Heian Shodan :o :o

What a rubbish session :kaioken:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
What a terrible session. Everything went wrong,I was pulled up on just about everything.

I get very focused in the Dojo and when I get my concentration broken by someone who is pulling me up on technique, my mind just empties and I can't refocus. It all started during Bassai Dai, the half step into Shuto (the third to last move) my foot stuck to the floor and I didn't complete the half step, so he made everyone start again and this time, I made so many mistakes because my concentration was broken. I even went blank on Heian Shodan :o :o

I've had those. Never fun.

:(

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

These things happen. To all of us in one way or another. It's a part, a lousy part for sure, but a part of training. You'll shake it off for the next round.

It does happen. It has happened to me many times.

Meditate, breathe through it, let it go. Keep the wheat of what you learned, and leave the chaff of the feelings of failure behind.

Another day will be another day, and perhaps it will go differently.

Do you practice outside of class? It might also help. But some days our focus is just better than others. Over time, there will be less of those days... but even a master can sometimes lose focus, whether he admits it or not. None of us are absolutely perfect at it. That is why we always practice. :}

But yeah, it's no fun! The thing is, you kept going, you finished class, you showed UP for class. So many people don't. And that is an accomplishment right there. Really it is!

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

As has been said by everyone, it happens to us all.

Practice will help, especially if you know a kata the requires concentration, like Sanchin... Mindfulness meditation will also help you to not lose focus, or to regain your concentration.

(Good advice, Ev)

OSU! PRACTICE!

OSU!

Do you practice outside of class? It might also help. But some days our focus is just better than others. Over time, there will be less of those days... but even a master can sometimes lose focus, whether he admits it or not. None of us are absolutely perfect at it. That is why we always practice. :}

OSU!

Thats the annoying thing, yes I do all the time as well attend training 3-4 times per week!

Its just recently, being at such an advanced point, that my technique seems to be going off! Most of the time I can notice my own mistakes and correct them. Its when I get pulled up and the whole class has to start again because of me, it just shatters my concentration and focus and I find it really really hard to get it back in that session!

I suppose, we are our own worst critics!

OSU!

Thats the annoying thing, yes I do all the time as well attend training 3-4 times per week!

Its just recently, being at such an advanced point, that my technique seems to be going off! Most of the time I can notice my own mistakes and correct them. Its when I get pulled up and the whole class has to start again because of me, it just shatters my concentration and focus and I find it really really hard to get it back in that session!

I suppose, we are our own worst critics!

If it makes you feel better, I have to break 7 years of instinctual movements to adjust them to a new dojo. Little things in DM's, Katas, Pinans, and a whole new set of Kempos and Knife and Club techniques. :P

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

Believe it or not, this is a good thing, actually. Not every day will be a good day, and learning how to deal with these distractions, work through them, and re-focus, will be a good thing for you in the long run. As a matter of fact, if I were your instructor, and I noticed this out of you, I would probably try to present those circumstances in class more often.

Bad days will get better. Its just another stepping stone, so take heart.