• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Material to put on concrete to practice kata outside?

Yeah, i'm always mystified why people who claim to be training "traditional self defense" are so dead-set against wearing shoes because that's a "modern sport" thing, when so far as I have seen, training barefoot is a modern adaptation to make sparring safer for sport purposes.

Training barefoot was, in my art as a whole, introduced in the 20th century by "modern" schools as an adaptation to make the art less street-practical and restrict students from practicing their art outside of a training hall. It was done knowingly and intentionally for that purpose. I can't imagine how the reasoning and effects of shoes would be REVERSED in a different art.

That said, there are lots of people who practice various styles of Capoeira in Brazil who practice it barefoot outdoors on concrete, on asphalt, and on cobblestones. I'm not sure why, other than "My lineage was connected to Regional and we have to train barefoot (so that we'll only do our stuff indoors, as part of the style fork), but I want to do stuff outdoors (like the traditionalists), and so i'll just build up more foot calluses so that I can do it anyways." That option remains available for you, and if you insist on training barefoot is probably the next most 'authentic' option.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is wrong with your concrete? Is it too ruff, smooth and slippery? We need to know the complete problem before we can recommend any actual solutions.

You can look at some of the outdoor concrete paints, check your local diy or hardware store, that can add texture, be smooth, fill in small imperfections, color, etc. Another solution is interlocked mats that gyms use, can be pricy but watch for any local gyms or fitness centers doing any remodeling. The last solution I have is a stall mat, your local hardware store or farm supply store will have them. I have used these before as outdoor lifting platforms.

Too rough and hot now i just practice with some high dollar sandells and it works

You can also try light sneakers. That's what I use when I train outdoors.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

a porch paint might take enough of the edge off but it's not going to help with the concrete being too hot. Find some cheap wrestling shoes they are close to being barefooted without actually not wearing shoes.

I dont have an area where I can practice my kata. I dont have room in my house and outside I have to perfect size concrete slab to practice on but one problem is it is concrete. I am part of a traditional style and practice barfooted. I am looking for advice on what kind of material I could buy to put over the concrete. It cant absorb water and mold outside I just dont know what to buy. Trying to keep it under $40 or $50. Any help would be awsome link or pictures of what you have. Thank you and good luck on your martial art adventure.

Buying suitable footwear is going to be more likey to fit that budget than buying something to cover the drive with. You might be able to find some scrap carpet somewhere that could cover it, but it might be ugly, with holes, and dirty; may not be much better than the concrete.

Two options I see:

1. Footwear. You can find some decent priced, light weight MA footwear through just about any MA product guide. TKD shoes are particularly light weight, and you can form your foot in them, too.

2. Work out on the concrete. This will toughen your feet over time, although it may cut back your workout time until you've built the toughness on your feet to deal with pivoting and what not. Then there is the heat factor of the concrete you must take into account.

I'd go with shoes, but that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...
...Right, and "new sport type" = barefoot, "Self Defense" = shoes. Unless you normally go about your daily business barefoot?

I firmly agree; however, if it is contrary to your TEACHING, then you can use fold up mats... a friend told me to try to get fold up mats and store them so they do not get wet/dirty... try craigs list, or a local paper.

It is what you learn when you think you know everything that matters most! (unknown)

" I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself". (DH Lawrence)

"The only stupid question is the one that was never asked!!" (Me!!!)