• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How does one compete with a McDojo?

First of all, I'd like to welcome you to KarateForums.

Secondly...Solid post!!

:)

Ha, thanks. I've been reading up on the business side of things a lot lately.

I think businesses that get started out of passion should be successful, because generally people will share your passion. Game stores. Model train stores. Bicycle shops. Karate schools. People like this stuff just like the person that started it liked it, but people don't necessarily know about your store or what to do with it when they get there. People, I think, want to be hard core, but need help getting there.

I took martial arts for years before I had the fitness or guts to start doing hard sparring, but the school I went to provided that for me, a place to train while I was weak, and then a place to train when I was strong. They also have 225+ students. They were doing something right.

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A McDojo is not something you NEED to compete with. It'll fizzle out after some of their guys get their butts kicked by some thugs for being terrible fighters.

At the last tournament I attended, I saw a HUGE flock of fighters from, what I could tell, a McDojo. I put their number around 40. They spoke ZERO Japanese, and they didn't take anything better than 4th. I guess they thought that with enough people, they could place high in something. Our school took home 8 first place trophies, and we only had a dozen students compete.

Not saying a McDojo can't produce a good fighter now and then, but their tradition is usually lacking, and they get a lot less one-on-one time because of huge classes.

The people who really want a traditional Martial Arts experience will find you. Trust me.

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence." -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle