• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Olympic Opening ceremony

DWx

What did people think of it? I get that they were trying to do something a bit different but did you non-Brits actually get it? Was watching it myself thinking that some of the references were a bit obscure and might not translate well.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I thought it was brilliant, right up until Macca started to sing then it took a horrendous turn for the worse!

Yes! Surely he should just let it be (pun intended ;)). Someone like Elton John would have been a better choice. I guess though Hey Jude is just one of those songs that everyone knows and everyone can sing.

Thought the torch was a brilliant idea :)

I'm pretty up to date on British culture, and a few things were lost on me. My biggest complaint is anytime Sir Paul appears on a national or global stage to perform a Beatles song without Ringo. If Ringo isn't there, the performance isn't a proper Beatles song at all: It's just that guy from Wings pretending.

Aside from that, it wasn't too bad, and I pretty much dislike 95% of of the Olympics. There were about a million ways the torch could've gone wrong and they pulled it off without a hitch.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

Other than why David Beckham was driving the boat? I would've gone with Jeremy Clarkson myself, but then again, I probably would've put the Top Gear presenters in charge of the entire thing.

Aside from that, it was mostly just the 70's and 80's dance bits that were weird for me. I don't like dance, and some of the music was foreign (literally and figuratively) to me.

Two thumbs up for Mr. Bean though, I used to watch him when I was a kid. Gordon Ramsey cursing at someone and Bear Grylls wrestling an actual bear would've been a nice addition. Oh, and Kylie Minogue...Yes, I know she's Australian, but I don't care.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

They let Beckham be such a huge part of it because he did a lot to help win us the bid and has done a lot for getting kids involved in sport. Plus he's an east London boy too :)

The majority of us Brits don't like Clarkson. He's not that popular tbh. And although we do like Bear Grylls think he's also more popular with you guys than us :lol:

Apparently NBC cut out the part where Emeli Sande sang "Abide with me" which was a memorial for the 7/7 victims?

Other than why David Beckham was driving the boat? I would've gone with Jeremy Clarkson myself, but then again, I probably would've put the Top Gear presenters in charge of the entire thing.

Aside from that, it was mostly just the 70's and 80's dance bits that were weird for me. I don't like dance, and some of the music was foreign (literally and figuratively) to me.

Two thumbs up for Mr. Bean though, I used to watch him when I was a kid. Gordon Ramsey cursing at someone and Bear Grylls wrestling an actual bear would've been a nice addition. Oh, and Kylie Minogue...Yes, I know she's Australian, but I don't care.

Beckham's inclusion,generally, was entirely tokenistic imo. He isn't and has never been an olympic competitor (as far as I know!) but was involved, as our most famous sportsman (?), in the olympic bid so they had to give him a part. Personally, I was stockpiling missiles to throw at the telly had they decided to get Beckham to light the cauldron.

Our 70s and 80s music never really made it across the pond, unlike US 70s and 80s music which was popular here.

I should add that Rowan Atkinson was being Rowan Atkinson, not Mr Bean. That was his act and Mr Bean is really just one of his characters. Personally, I can't stand Mr B.

'Top Gear brings you the Olympics' Hmmm interesting Unfortunately, Clarkson is generally unpopular here, he comes across as a middle class, mysogenist! LOL

I think they could have done far more with James Bond imo, and am absolutely furious that Doctor Who (other than the brief sound of the Tardis) was not included at all!

I thought the London 2012 Opening Ceremony was by far the greatest thing that I've ever seen, especially the beginning with the building of the Olympic rings...I was floored over the entire spectacle. I don't think it'll ever be topped!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!