• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does karate have any "internal" forms?

Barbaric Mike

I have to admit that I'm not completely sure what the term "initernal" means, but I've read that hard striking styles like Hung Ga and CLF have internal forms that are good for health. Something akin to Qigong I would imagine. Does anyone know if karate has these types of forms?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Im frankly nkt completely sold on the division of the two. It seems more likeba statement about focus in techniques, and it has further been noted that BJJ types tend to be better at relaxed power than taiji types

Even the IMA experts have been known to have ambiguity about how to define "Internal", so confusion and sarcasm are to be expected.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Wouldn't SanChin be on the boarders of "internal" Forms

OR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kybxNOlnl20

OR even Tensho Kata

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrIRrnrC7nc&feature=fvwrel

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I am an instructor and been practicing martial arts for 30 years Okinawan Goju Ryu, and a history of Kung-fu. Yes there are several arts that practice internal strength training or Chi-Kung. The first karate art to practice such was Goju Ryu, also known as Naha-te with Sanchin for hardening the body and Tensho for the equivolent of Tai chi. The sister art of Goju Ryu Uchi Ryu also practices this form of martial arts.

{Mr.Olympus}

I dont know about other styles of karate but Sanchin and Tensho katas, I guess would be the closest that karate would come to tai chi and other internal forms. The focus and concentration on breathing and power generation to keep the body tensed throughtout the kata is done focusing on your hara , tanden or centre. Most of the old masters used to also practice ikibuki form of breathing.

Sanchin in Kyokushin is both external and internal... though they all are in a way, but this one is a lot more about focus, and it is more spiritual in nature.

Of course, it being Kyokushin, spiritual in nature still involves getting beat with sticks and fists and stuff while you're testing with this kata.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Of course, it being Kyokushin, spiritual in nature still involves getting beat with sticks and fists and stuff while you're testing with this kata.

Is there any kind of spiritual practice that doesn't involve some level of blunt force trauma? If anyone says "yes", I'll call shinannigans.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Is there any kind of spiritual practice that doesn't involve some level of blunt force trauma? If anyone says "yes", I'll call shinannigans.

:lol:

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."