• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dan Grade Meaning

NRShukokai

I believe that what you're going to find more than anything is that the naming of Dan ranks is going to be private to the style and/or the instructor, and in that, the name of the Dan ranks isn't going to be universal. I've heard TKD name the belt colors, i.e., white is spring beginner, etc.

I've also heard Dan ranks being referred to as...Shodan=Courage, Nidan=Courtesy, Sandan=Integrity, Yondan=Humility, and Godan=Self-Control. Again, it'll vary so much across the board, imho. Shindokan doesn't have any official name for any of the kyu/dan ranks other than what they actually are.

I'm curious to know what your Chief Instructor says Nidan means.

Sorry I'm not of much help to your quest. Good luck.

:)

Hi Sensei8, where were you 4 months ago when I posted the original question? That info is exactly what I was after, even if it doesn't align exactly to what my Sensei has given me. Thank you for the extra rank meanings, will help a lot

Sandan - Shukokai

Honbu - AM Shukokai Karate-Do Renmei

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I believe that what you're going to find more than anything is that the naming of Dan ranks is going to be private to the style and/or the instructor, and in that, the name of the Dan ranks isn't going to be universal. I've heard TKD name the belt colors, i.e., white is spring beginner, etc.

I've also heard Dan ranks being referred to as...Shodan=Courage, Nidan=Courtesy, Sandan=Integrity, Yondan=Humility, and Godan=Self-Control. Again, it'll vary so much across the board, imho. Shindokan doesn't have any official name for any of the kyu/dan ranks other than what they actually are.

I'm curious to know what your Chief Instructor says Nidan means.

Sorry I'm not of much help to your quest. Good luck.

Hi Sensei8, where were you 4 months ago when I posted the original question? That info is exactly what I was after, even if it doesn't align exactly to what my Sensei has given me. Thank you for the extra rank meanings, will help a lot

I was right here... :P

I'm glad that I was of some help to your quest.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...

For those that may be interested, Sensei has informed my what Nidan is "Honesty". In my draft essay, I gave it as Enlightenment and Sensei replied with "Honesty" so we now have

Shodan = S#####

Nidan = H######

Sandan = C#######

One day I hope to find out what Yondan is.

Ossu!

Edited at request of Chief Instructor

Edited by NRShukokai

Sandan - Shukokai

^ I thought you said in your OP that yondan was honesty? :-?

Out of curiosity, what do the meanings mean? Are you supposed to exemplify those things when you're at the rank or are they something else?

We have the colour belts all mean something in TKD but they're supposed to be an analogy to how your skills should be developing e.g. yellow belt = foundation

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I think the meaning is bespoke to your instructor. Not heard of anyone putting these "special" meanings to the Dan grades before

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Out of curiosity, what do the meanings mean? Are you supposed to exemplify those things when you're at the rank or are they something else?

We have the colour belts all mean something in TKD but they're supposed to be an analogy to how your skills should be developing e.g. yellow belt = foundation

That I did, am seeking clarification.

Based on my discussions with my Sensei, they are to make us think about the qualities that we would expect from someone at a particular grade, also about the journey one has taken to reach that goal.

Sandan - Shukokai

That I did, am seeking clarification.

Based on my discussions with my Sensei, they are to make us think about the qualities that we would expect from someone at a particular grade, also about the journey one has taken to reach that goal.

It's an interesting question. The words themselves are simply translated to denote a numerical level.

Shodan = 1st level

Nidan = 2nd level

Sandan = 3rd level

and so on.

This grading system is used in more than just martial arts. So the character traits you're mentioning are, without doubt, assigned by your organization. That's important for you to know because you'll never get the correct answer outside of your organization.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."