• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dan Grade Meaning

NRShukokai

My Cheif Instructor has set me a research task as part of my Sandan Grading. He has asked me to find the meaning of the first three Dan Grades. He has given me the meaning of Yondan which apparently means Honesty. Shodan is Beginning.

Has anyone come across the meaning of Nidan and Sandan as part of their MA journey?

Sandan - Shukokai

Honbu - AM Shukokai Karate-Do Renmei

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
My Cheif Instructor has set me a research task as part of my Sandan Grading. He has asked me to find the meaning of the first three Dan Grades. He has given me the meaning of Yondan which apparently means Honesty. Shodan is Beginning.

Has anyone come across the meaning of Nidan and Sandan as part of their MA journey?

Sorry, I've always understood that Heian (or Pinan) Shodan (or Nidan in Wado) through Godan are the five levels of 'Peaceful mind'.

Sorry, I've always understood that Heian (or Pinan) Shodan (or Nidan in Wado) through Godan are the five levels of 'Peaceful mind'.

I believe OP is referring to the ranks of Nidan and Sandan, not the Pinan/Heian series of kata.

As for the original question, I have never heard of dan rankings being assigned meanings as you have described. I have obviously heard that shodan is the beginning of your training, but never that it means "beginning" or that yondan means "honesty". It almost sounds like your instructor (or their instructor before them, or your organization) has arbitrarily assigned meaning to the dan ranks and either expect you to know them or figure them out.

The closest thing I can tell you is that I have heard of sandan being referred to as "the fighting rank" in judo because that seems to be the rank a majority of skilled black belt judo competitors seem to hold.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I believe OP is referring to the ranks of Nidan and Sandan, not the Pinan/Heian series of kata.

Yeah I understood that, I,like you had just never heard of it being assiigned meanings. The Kata meanings were the extent of my knowledge in that respect. :wink:

I remember reading an article on this same subject. I will check if I still have it somewhere

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Hi Guys,

Like you, I too only thought of Ni as 2 and San as 3, but after speaking with my Sensei, He's planted the seed of doubt in my mind (Accompanied by a mischievous laugh). From what I've gleaned from him, the meanings haven't emanated from within our style, and somewhere out their in the MA world, there is someone who knows, just have to find them.

I've even emailed the Head of the Japanese School at my local university who said that they are numbers.

Based on his hint regarding Yondan, I started thinking the meanings maybe related to the Seven Virtues. When I find out, I'll post the results, until then, I'll continue to knock back the Panadol.

Sandan - Shukokai

Other than the literal japanese (numeric) meaning that simply represents a progression of rank, I do not believe there is any meaning at all.

Whatever your Sensei thinks they mean is doubtless something that has been tagged on by your association. 'Meanings' to Dan ranks is in my view one of the myths, like not washing your belt or the belt colours representing something

• 3 months later...

After several months of unsuccessful searching, Sensei has decided to give us 2 of the meanings, Shodan & Sandan.

He has given us Shodan is ****** and Sandan is ######

Just have to keep searching for Nidan

(Edited at request of Chief Instructor)

Edited by NRShukokai

Sandan - Shukokai

I believe that what you're going to find more than anything is that the naming of Dan ranks is going to be private to the style and/or the instructor, and in that, the name of the Dan ranks isn't going to be universal. I've heard TKD name the belt colors, i.e., white is spring beginner, etc.

I've also heard Dan ranks being referred to as...Shodan=Courage, Nidan=Courtesy, Sandan=Integrity, Yondan=Humility, and Godan=Self-Control. Again, it'll vary so much across the board, imho. Shindokan doesn't have any official name for any of the kyu/dan ranks other than what they actually are.

I'm curious to know what your Chief Instructor says Nidan means.

Sorry I'm not of much help to your quest. Good luck.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I'm inclined to go with Wastelander on this. I've never heard of any "meanings" being assigned to the dan ranks, but sensei8 does shed some different light on the subject.