• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

McDojo vs Hobby

I have a feeling I'm currently going to a McDojo. The belt tests are overcharged and are held every 2 to 3 months. I do take all of the belt tests though, because my parents want me to be 'awesome' or something... Well, I think my instructor teaches for the students. He said some something to me a few classes ago that was along the lines of "Back, when I was your age (14, I'm guessing, since that's my age), I got in a fight in school." He also said that he got cut from the face. Then his parents told him to take TSD, and he loved it ever since. And that's why my instructor teaches.

I actually don't think it matters if you go to a McDojo or not, as long as the instructor has some experience with the form they are teaching.

It might matter, and it might not. People get very angry about McDojos, in general, but just because they hate them doesn't mean they aren't right for somebody out there--just like lots of people hate McDonalds but they still sell billions of cheeseburgers.

Some "McDojos" actually DO teach effective arts, and do it well, but because they are trying to make money off of it they get the McDojo label. The dojo I first started training at was a commercial dojo--the instructor had his main school and two satellite locations run by black belt students of his, and there were fees for testing and belts and extra classes, and there were contracts (that part was actually required by the government, though)--but they taught (and still teach) solid technique, and they teach it very well. I have moved on to a different style and different training methods and concepts, but it worked very well for me at the time and I loved it.

Some McDojos, however, teach ineffective arts or they teach them very poorly. If you want some exercise, build some self esteem and maybe learn some cool tricks then this is perfectly fine, so long as you are willing to pay for it. That's all a lot of people want out of martial arts, so this works for them--there is no contact, typically, so there is very little risk of injury, pain or discomfort, and they get to do some neat looking stuff while they exercise and have some fun.

I will admit that I hate McDojos that are out there to make money AND teach ineffective martial arts--in my opinion that is simply fraudulent and gives martial arts a very bad reputation--but I understand that, for some people, it meets a need. I also understand that if you are a good instructor and you teach good martial arts, then you are free to do everything you want to make money at it if people are willing to pay for your instruction. McDojos will always exist, and we can choose to constantly be angry with them and try to tear them down, or we can simply focus on our training and accept it.

This might be the best thought out post ever on the subject. Props.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I would still stay away from the Karate For Kids chain of TKD. I've heard nothing but horrible things from them.

I would too. I mean, some of my friends go there, but I'm a person who would stay away from it. It's definitely a McDojo.

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)

I actually don't think it matters if you go to a McDojo or not, as long as the instructor has some experience with the form they are teaching.

It definitely does depend on the instructor.

I would still stay away from the Karate For Kids chain of TKD. I've heard nothing but horrible things from them.

Each school is different. I ran an ATA school a while back, and we had a K4K program. It was a good program, and we worked on the physical stuff with learning the belt curriculum, and also worked on the "spiritual" side of things, in learning about honor, integrity, courage, self-control, and all that good stuff. It contains the kind of stuff kids want to learn in Martial Arts, and the kind of stuff parents want their kids to learn. The idea behind the Karate 4 Kids program is to present instructors with a format to teach the kids in both ways, and to keep them interested and coming back. The program itself is a good idea. Some instructors are not so good at it.

In the end, it comes down to individual schools and instructors, and their approach to the programs.

McDojo's aren't the only ones who teach ineffective MA...they're all over.

:)

Yep... and as Wastelander posted, some McDojo's teach effective martial arts as well.

Just be careful, be educated, check out the dojo before jumping in.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

I know a lot of people don't like the contract idea, and immediately attach the McDojo label to an MA school that has them. Personally, if I know its something I want to do, I would rather sign a contract, that way, I can pay electronically, and not worry about whether I am paid up for a month or not. To me, its just easier, and all I have to worry about doing is showing up for class.

Contracts are not always bad; they are merely convenient. Much the way a debit card is more convenient than writing a check, or worrying about carrying cash on you all the time.