• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring gear

I need sparring gear, so I was wondering where I could get cheap sparring gear. At my dojo, they are selling it for around $80. I need hand and feet protectors, and the head gear. I was looking on eBay, but apparently my parents say it's not a good idea. Any help on where to get them?

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Depends entirely on what sort of gear your dojo requires. Or what competitions you plan to take part in and what they require.

Those look to be Everlasts MMA gloves. If that's the sort of hand gear you need, there are several companies that make gloves as good, or better, for a lower price.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Depends entirely on what sort of gear your dojo requires. Or what competitions you plan to take part in and what they require.

Those look to be Everlasts MMA gloves. If that's the sort of hand gear you need, there are several companies that make gloves as good, or better, for a lower price.

Yeah, you need the gloves that have flexibility and full hand protection. I just need to find some foam head gear and feet guards.

You may also need something that offers more padding along the striking surface. MMA fight gloves are not very forgiving when sparring. Neither pair of mine are what I'd call a "soft" glove. These may be more appropriate if, as your profile indicates, you're training TKD at this time. If you're committed to an MMA style glove, these would be better for most sparring. More forgiving by far than fight weight gloves. If you want to go with a higher cost, higher quality glove, most companies make a training glove as well as a fight glove.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Ahh, ok. Thanks. I take TSD and we just do point and free sparring. But I'll be going to a tournament soon and thought getting sparring gear would be nice. I'm all new to this.

Sorry about crossing TKD/TSD, I was going off memory when I posted that section.

If you're going to compete, then definitely check to see what sort of gear is allowed at the tourney. Certain organizations/tourneys have specific requirements for the sparring gear they allow. For example, AAU karate rules used to dictate a white, cloth covered hand gear, with foot and head protection optional for adult divisions. I believe at that same time AAU TKD events allowed for the dipped foam hand and foot gear with helmet. That however, was 15+ years back and if I were to compete now, I'd check the allowed gear before signing up and make sure I had some on hand.

I have never had any luck with Everlast, and neither has anyone else I know. These are the gloves I use--they are durable, comfortable and have considerably more padding than standard MMA gloves (7oz, I believe) because they are intended for sparring. As for headgear, I use this because it is durable, comfortable and affordable, but I rarely wear headgear because I find that I actually get hit in the head more often when I do. I don't wear foot gear anymore, but when I did I always just used the dipped foam stuff like Macho. A couple people in my dojo are trying out some new sparring shoes that are basically just padded wrestling shoes, and those might be a good option.

When it comes right down to it, though, you need to get gear that you can use in whatever competitions you want to engage in. If they only allow you to use all dipped foam gear, then that's what you need to buy. If they require K1 style gear, that's what you need to buy. If you aren't going to compete, then get whatever your instructor says you should get.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Combat Sport is having a sale again? Might be a good time to replace some of the gloves that are showing wear in our dojo. Those are the the exact "dojo gloves" we keep for students that don't have their own Wastelander.

And, again, yes, find out what the competitions you're going to allows and buy that. If not, you are wasting money and will have to purchase separate gear which can lead to all kinds of trouble. From comfort issues to forgetting to take the right set with you to compete.