• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

10 year old Black Belts!

Where I train, my sensei explained that he will test and/or promote someone based on their knowledge and skill. He will not let someone linger as a yellow belt if they are passing up the Green belts just because of time spent in class. But he is very demanding on what we need to know. And he always sets the bar higher than he wants us to reach. For example, he drilled us on techniques and katas above what we were testing for, but he did so with little time for us to master them. When it came time for our test, he made us do the techniques that we had already mastered and promoted us accordingly. But he had us training more advanced tecnhniques, so when it comes time for us to test for brown, we'll have already been working on the techniques required.

With that being said, he has 2 black belts that train with us. One is in his 30's and one is in his 40's. He has a lot of children that he trains in the lower classes, but none are above orange belt. Based on the training and knowledge I've been around, he seems to be doing it the right way.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, DWx, I agree some of the points do cover what is also found at bonefide schools.

I found the article on the same subject fro 24 fighting chickens gives a different view, and another which I'll add tomorrow as I'm in my android now.

I think that you CAN get some really good McDojos as long as you realize that you are in one. If it gives you a great work out etc then no reason why you can't co continue training there.

Also, he more we work against Child Black belts, the less accepted they'll be eventually you won't see any

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

We have two black belts under the age of 18, and both of them are 14 (they were just promoted in May) but they are jun-shodan so they have the black belt with the white stripe down the center. At 16 they will be old enough to take the adult shodan exam.

Will there be a difference between these two exams?

Yeah, DWx, I agree some of the points do cover what is also found at bonefide schools.

I found the article on the same subject fro 24 fighting chickens gives a different view, and another which I'll add tomorrow as I'm in my android now.

I think that you CAN get some really good McDojos as long as you realize that you are in one. If it gives you a great work out etc then no reason why you can't co continue training there.

Also, he more we work against Child Black belts, the less accepted they'll be eventually you won't see any

As promised but a little bit latter than stated

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/2007/01/09/how-to-tell-a-mcdojo/

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

D'oh! My job has 24fightingchickens blocked!

Luckily I've got a VNC tunnel to my home computer :D

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

As promised but a little bit latter than stated

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/2007/01/09/how-to-tell-a-mcdojo/

That was a very interesting read, thanks for the link Dobbers :)

Late reply, but yes! Very good!

I hate admitting that I was in a McDojo, but I find comfort is knowing that my instructors were bang-on and taught me a solid, viable, and effective martial art.

Not many in the corporate entity were.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

Regarding ten year old black belts, I'm somewhat undecided on the issue.

If ranking reflects self-defence prowess then the idea of ten year old black belts is ludicrous. However, if ranking reflects something more than this (knowledge of the art, commitment, dedication, personal growth as a result of studying the art, self-defence prowess in relation to one's peers, etc.) then the idea of a ten year old black belt becomes somewhat acceptable.

Since I do think that martial arts should be about the development of self just as much as the development of self-defence skills, I suppose I should be all for it. But still...

• 1 month later...

My school gave full Dan ranks to kids, in fact I'm one of them. I got my black belt at 10. The school considered this a full black belt, and it is still honored as such if I go to class.

The difference between what my school did and what I'm reading on here is that no matter what age you were, if you tested for black belt, you went in front of the founder of my karate association and a board of 3rd Dans and above and tested side by side with adults, you had to keep pace with them and do everything they could do to pass, there were no "easier" standards based on age.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

• 1 month later...

what a 10 year old black belt no way jose in our school it takes a while to get a black belt in our school you dont get a blackbelt until you master the shotokan as 1st dan in our school there are 3 brown belts the youngest brownbelt is sabrina his only 13 i think and the oldest brown belt is isiah then youngest black belt is mathews his 19 years old

So kids never expect to get a black belt at 10 years old thats is not right you have to learn the art more before you get to black belt

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate