• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black belt THEN 1st Dan

It does sound odd, but I can see what they are doing. The TKD styles I have been in have "recommended" black belt ranks, but we still called them 1st dan. This could just be a different way of doing this same thing. Although, I don't think it makes sense to call one a black belt but not a 1st dan.

That was my exact thought as well.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok in all my years of training...It's always been that way.

1st dan = black belt...

Easier way to say it....

1st degree black belt.

Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom.

Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.

I've heard of a few kickboxing schools that do have this system. They also have to grade for their white belts too.

I have heard of testing into a white belt, although I have asked at a few schools before I made my choices, and I had to ask my sensei when I chose my school... I am doing some self-practice and did not want to be wearing a belt in a tape or a video test if I did not earn one... This school does not test into a white belt, but 10th Gup is a white belt with a yellow stripe...

I have never heard of preDan; however, in the same school, there is a black belt candidate for the style created by the same teacher, called SaJaDo. The rank is called Cho Dan Bo... (signified by a black belt with a white stripe)...

Having said that, in the same school, the Hapkido and Tang Soo Do do not require Cho Dan Bo, but his style of SaJaDo does.

Hope this helps...

It is what you learn when you think you know everything that matters most! (unknown)

" I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself". (DH Lawrence)

"The only stupid question is the one that was never asked!!" (Me!!!)

The school I went to was this way.

You get black belt or Dan, which is where I am, then you test again and become 1st degree black belt, or 1st Dan.

Supposedly there are 10 degrees or Dans, so therefore, a total of 11 black belt ranks.

And if you were wondering it was $200 per test for each rank.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

You get black belt or Dan, which is where I am, then you test again and become 1st degree black belt, or 1st Dan.

Supposedly there are 10 degrees or Dans, so therefore, a total of 11 black belt ranks.

See... I find this VERY strange. The testing fee is very high to boot.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

See... I find this VERY strange. The testing fee is very high to boot.

Ditto this!

• 2 weeks later...

Shodan-ho or provisional black belt is fairly common in a lot of ma's in Australia.For the life of me i cannot understand why.If you have put in the time and effort to go for your black belt why are you not then a 1st dan.

I have heard with some schools by not awarding a dan rank they can retain the student for longer as it seems fairly common for students to give their training away once they get to black belt

Shodan-ho or provisional black belt is fairly common in a lot of ma's in Australia.For the life of me i cannot understand why.If you have put in the time and effort to go for your black belt why are you not then a 1st dan.

I have heard with some schools by not awarding a dan rank they can retain the student for longer as it seems fairly common for students to give their training away once they get to black belt

Having looked into it a bit further it does seem to be more a system adopted by franchises. I think GKR do this as do RTK in the north of England.

OSU

Sounds more like an extra kyu, really.

In my lineage, a shodan-ho was sometimes given as recognition for some great service, but wasn't the same as a real shodan, which still had to be tested for. This wasn't something that involved getting charged or anything.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

When I received my first black belt over 10 years ago it is was Shodan (1st Dan), I never heard of a "provisional" black belt. However within the last 5 years it seems like more and more clubs (reputable and not so reputable) are doing this.

TBH, I can't see why - as the grade before (whether it's 1st kyu, 1st Gup, etc) is what prepares you for that grade, imo.

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04