• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black belt THEN 1st Dan

Not to be a party pooper or anything, but what does it matter? Its unusual in that most schools/styles don't do it this way but seeing as ranks aren't consistent between styles anyway we can't really immediately jump to them being a McDojo.

For all we know, their 1st dans could equate to a 2nd dan in a different style. To quote Shakespeare, "What's in a name? that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet". Does it matter if they have a blackbelt rank and a 1st dan rank? As long as they're learning good Karate, who cares?

In a way you could say that system makes more sense in that you get the belt and then spend years working to add more levels on to it. Seems a bit silly that we all get a blackbelt and immediately have a stripe or bar on it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of those times when "rank doesn't matter," until it does.

I agree with DWx. We don't know what the set up of the school is like, so we can't jump to a McDojo label right away. Like my school, we have a recommended black belt, but its still called a 1st dan. But if other schools choose to do it differently, then who cares?

I have a friend who goes to a school where the first 6 months of their shodan is a "trial period" where it's kind of a "shodan-ho." If they behave and perform well, I think it gets automatically upgraded to "shodan" without another test though.

Sounds like that school has, what... an extra kyu then?

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

I'm not suggesting that it is a McDojo for sure BUT it is part of a very large national franchise. I have made some further enquiries and it seems that you pay (rather heaftily it appears) to do your blackbelt and then to do your 1st Dan 12 months later.

In Shotokan we had "Shodan-Ho" then Shodan.

In Chuan Fa we had a black sash, then a first degree black sash

In BJJ you earn black belt and, according to the IBJJF, get your first degree black belt after 3 years at black belt.

In aiki-Jujitsu we just had shodan

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Hmm ... I've heard of this before ... seems like the term used was something like ( Conditional Black Belt or Recommended Black Belt ). Bottom line, I guess, is that it really depends on your instructor and how they manage the grades and ranks. I can't remember if my 1st Dan was conditional or not, but I made 2nd Dan in a little over a year after that.

Gaijin53

2nd Dan WTF

Central Alabama, USA

Interestingly, the same club won't let you grade unless you purchase one their own gis with badge at £60 a pop for adults and £45 children. The same Gi I bought from a retailer for £30.

It works out, for an adult, that your first grading can cost £125 with the cost of a gi and grading fee of £60 then cost of belt £5.

I've never really understood why clubs need to be so prescriptive in order to squeeze as much cash out of you as possible.

Interestingly, the same club won't let you grade unless you purchase one their own gis with badge at £60 a pop for adults and £45 children. The same Gi I bought from a retailer for £30.

It works out, for an adult, that your first grading can cost £125 with the cost of a gi and grading fee of £60 then cost of belt £5.

I've never really understood why clubs need to be so prescriptive in order to squeeze as much cash out of you as possible.

Sorry but it sounds like a typical McDOJO to me

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Me too! I think I may have talked this guy into trying out my own club :D

Me too! I think I may have talked this guy into trying out my own club :D

Or you can both pop over to mine in Wythenshawe

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)