• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black belt THEN 1st Dan

OSU

I recently spoke with a guy from the same style as my whose Dojo have a black belt rank (via grading) followed, 12 months later by a 1st Dan rank (again via grading). In another style I did they had a PreDan between 1st Kyu and 1st Dan but the belt colour didn't change!

Has anyone else heard of being a black belt but NOT a first Dan?

I thought it was quite unusual!

Is it unusual?

DQ

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does sound odd, but I can see what they are doing. The TKD styles I have been in have "recommended" black belt ranks, but we still called them 1st dan. This could just be a different way of doing this same thing. Although, I don't think it makes sense to call one a black belt but not a 1st dan.

I've heard of a few kickboxing schools that do have this system. They also have to grade for their white belts too.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

BJJ uses the same stripe rank for BB's as it does for the other ranks. So, when one gets their bb, it is plain. After 1 year, you're eligible (not necessarily meaning you're going to get it) for the first stripe on your black belt. It's simply referred to as "stripes" though, not dan.

Are they maybe having it that way just to make the student pay more?

My style, black belt = 1st dan

Well,I didn't want to sound cynical in the OP but the school in question is a franchised Dojo, not that far off a McDojo.

Fortunately, in my Dojo its BB = 1st D

Just to add

I think the ONLY way this CAN be feasible is if the school operates the "Ho" levels which I know is a bonefide grade in itself. It like an apprentice Grade or a partial grade.

So you would get:

Ik Kyu

Shodan Ho

Shodan

Nidan Ho

Nidan

Sandan Ho

Sandan

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Well,I didn't want to sound cynical in the OP but the school in question is a franchised Dojo, not that far off a McDojo.

Nice of you, but I'm rather cynical as well. I think there are already enough levels without introducing new ones.