• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

killing instinct vs technique

i want hear opinions

killing instinct is like nature talent from ur born (and ur early life)

technique must be the fruid of hard training

imo its killing technique simply cause body itself uses what it subconciously know, ur brain wont do something it knows it will hurt u

(i speak for instinct, not anger)

technique on the other hand is similar cause it tries to force ur body remember some movements and mechanics, the pron is that u may train it while u cant train instincts

my vote goes for instincts cause simply both are body memory but in instincts it is "programmed" to do things natural to the body, where with technique u force some moves happen

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

People like to romanticize "natural" movement.

Watch a kindergardener flail on the playground. That is a very natural motion that you naturally have ingrained.It isn't terribly effective.

"Ah, but maybe that's a result of trying to fight your natural instincts? What do people do naturally under stress when they aren't thinking?" Well, you can achieve that state through a massive surge of adrenaline. The Nature-given innate natural response to such a state is to release the bowels and bladder reflexively, while shrieking and huddling in a protective ball.

not exactly awe-inspiring ultimate combat techniques. Really, the best results have been shown in people who train biomechanically efficient techniques to the point of imprinting it into the reflexes, being used by someone who is experienced with mitigating and controlling the adrenaline response.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

ASK any ex-service personnel who has seen active service about "killing instinct" its something many have to live with once "developed" that the have to suppress.

Technique is something that is there when the practitioner only uses theories to surmise what's going in where gaps in the actuality have become apparent

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

You need experience, yes, and that experience tends to be very intense and tied to adrenalized states that do interesting things to your learning process in general - but these aren't "instinctive, natural" reactions, they are trained and reasoned reactions that have been burned in by experience.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I've heard of "the killer instinct." I don't know that its something inherent in everyone, or just certain people. Nor do I know if it is something that can be dredged out of everyone or not. There are some people in this world that tend to be more predisposed to being capable of such things than others; we usually describe them as antisocial and unbalanced, among other words.

On another note, training technique does not necessarily mean you are training yourself to have that "killer instinct." I do think the type of adrenile stress training can be very helpful in reacting instinctively to a situation. But that doesn't mean that if you've learned "killing techniques," that you will use them if need be. I don't think there are a lot of people who can.

The "killer instinct" you're referring to is probably best summarized as mindset. It too can be trained and harnessed, and as Justice points out, must be trained as well to make it optimal. Natural instinct and movement is good, but rather unfocused and less than efficient unless you actually try to mold it into a workable format.

"Technique", when done properly in a good, realistic format, is all those things you develop to hone all your attributes to be more successful in combat. It's what takes raw potential and transforms it to something that is smart in it's application.

If mindset and instinct were all that's important then elite fighters from any discipline or professional calling would just condition then go do their thing. But the don't. They rep and drill over and over and over again until those "techniques" ARE "instinct".

Doing that right is a whole different discussion.

Now, we can't undersell mindset. Technique without mindset is a dance. It's overlooked a lot by martial artist and members in professions of arms more than one would think. Both are needed, but the hyper-important role of technique CAN NOT be over looked.