• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Skipping Belts

There are these two people who are skipping belts. In TSD, it goes white - yellow - orange. This person had went from white to orange. I heard from their parents that the person is a black belt in kung fu. Also, in a belt test, another person also skipped from white to orange. However, I have no idea if they took a form prior to TSD. Is skipping belts right? Does anyone support this? I for one have no opinion on this. But I must say that I think that people should go in order of belts because it's a whole new form. I understand that there are some similarities though. Your thoughts?

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are these two people who are skipping belts. In TSD, it goes white - yellow - orange. This person had went from white to orange. I heard from their parents that the person is a black belt in kung fu. Also, in a belt test, another person also skipped from white to orange. However, I have no idea if they took a form prior to TSD. Is skipping belts right? Does anyone support this? I for one have no opinion on this. But I must say that I think that people should go in order of belts because it's a whole new form. I understand that there are some similarities though. Your thoughts?

Yes if you are a Karateka and your level of skill is such that it would be like 'teaching granny to suck eggs' to start at the beginning!

I switched from Wado Ryu to Shotokan because I moved to an area where there are no Wado clubs. I went to a club and met the chief instructor and offered to start at the beginning (I was an advanced Kyu grade). He asked me to do my Wado katas, took me through some techniques and assessed that starting at the beginning would waste his and my time so he started me at the belt I was already at. His comment was that I had clearly worked very hard to get to where I was and it wasn't his place to take it away.

Edited by DoctorQui

I understand your concerns but don't worry yourself about someone else's progression, concentrate on your own, you have enough to worry about with your own practice. Not if YOU take longer to get your Black Belt then in theory your technique should be crisper than those who didn't take as long.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

You'll hear many differing opinions concerning this. The authority, imho, to grant this practice rests entirely with the Chief Instructor of any said school of the MA and/or with any said MA governing body.

I don't condone and/or encourage this practice personally and/or privately. It is what it is for each to decide within themselves, imho.

If a dojo mate has this bestowed upon them, accept it and don't dwell on it because the granted authority has that right, and a student should never question and/or assume a position that they don't rightfully possess.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I "skipped" the first belt in Shuri-Ryu because when I went to test they kept calling up people by what they were supposed to know and I kept getting up because I knew the material. In the lower kyu grades I see absolutely no problem with skipping belts if you know the material. Once you get within two or three ranks of shodan I think it should stop, because your training should involve more mental aspects that need time to develop.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I don't see a problem with it. It happens in my school at the lower grades. Our testing cycle is every 3 months so if you're advancing a faster rate then you can double test at the next grading. The people who do this are usually those that have prior training or were previously involved in some sort of other physical exercise because they pick the movements up quicker. Impossible to do at later grades though.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

You'll hear many differing opinions concerning this. The authority, imho, to grant this practice rests entirely with the Chief Instructor of any said school of the MA and/or with any said MA governing body.

I don't condone and/or encourage this practice personally and/or privately. It is what it is for each to decide within themselves, imho.

If a dojo mate has this bestowed upon them, accept it and don't dwell on it because the granted authority has that right, and a student should never question and/or assume a position that they don't rightfully possess.

Solid post, my friend

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I completely agree with this.

For arguement sake, if a Chief Instructor, an 8th Dan say, in a particular style thinks that someone shoud start at a specific level, what qualifies, say, a junior Kyu to challenge that decision.

I completely agree with this.

For arguement sake, if a Chief Instructor, an 8th Dan say, in a particular style thinks that someone shoud start at a specific level, what qualifies, say, a junior Kyu to challenge that decision.

No rank, especially a junior Kyu, is qualified to challenge that type of decision once it's made by the Chief Instructor. Again, no student should assume a position that they don't rightfully possess.

**Proof is on the floor!!!