• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

OC spray-to deploy or not to deploy

This past week i had the pleasure of getting a face-full of pepper spray as a requirement for my new job. I must say it was without a doubt the most awful experience of my life.

My question is this, to those who are LEO's what is your stance on deployment of this nasty stuff. As of right now i don't want the stuff anywhere near me. It seems to me that in many cases it could be a serious hinderance if not used properly.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't carry it....EVER. I do keep some handy in the car for dogs if I know I'm getting out at a house with one and some on my tac gear in the case that a target house has dogs (common). But that's what it's for in my assessment, dogs.

I hedge my bets a bit and keep a big fogger in the car for out of control bar disturbances that we can't lay hands on all combatants at once. I've never had to use it and it seems to get turned in and replaced each period without incident.

I've been very successful in discouraging everyone I work with not to use it in my presence in it either. Any weapons system that turns me into a drooling idiot (a certain effect) but may or may not effect the bad guy is NOT an ideal. There's never been a deployment of the stuff I've ever been near that everyone on scene wasn't contaminated in some way, shape, or form. I prefer tactics that effect the bad guys, not me as well.

As a side note, I'm sick of my department shooting me with this stuff as part of "training". You get it in academy, then we had to cert with it when we got back, then I got the pepperball treatment a couple of times....I'm done. I don't need to feel this stuff to testify to how it feels, I can watch videos, I know it stinks to get hit with.

You know guys, Dog the Bounty Hunter didn't become so hardcore by NOT deploying his pepper spray.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

What they don't show on camera is everybody coughing and wheezing for 30 minutes after they take down the guy who didn't show up to alimony court.

Sorry Clay, I know you're hoping to hear from the LEO's on this subject. I just had a question(s)...

Do the LEO's get that stuff in their eyes when deploying it on any suspect from the slightest wind? Is the effects just as bad to the LEO's eyes as what any suspect(s) get directly in their eyes? Does that stuff restrict LEO's windpipe?

Thanks, and sorry for my interruptions.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Sorry Clay, I know you're hoping to hear from the LEO's on this subject. I just had a question(s)...

Do the LEO's get that stuff in their eyes when deploying it on any suspect from the slightest wind? Is the effects just as bad to the LEO's eyes as what any suspect(s) get directly in their eyes? Does that stuff restrict LEO's windpipe?

Thanks, and sorry for my interruptions.

No worries, yes wind can be a factor, also your distance from the subject. It is recommended that you deploy it from 12-15 feet away, but depending on the situation this may not be possible. If your to close to the subject there is a risk of splashback. One must also consider the possibility of there being other LEO's on scene that may be contaminated when it is deployed.

You also don't have to get the stuff directly in your eyes for it to put a hurtin on you.

Thanks Clay!! That splash back you speak about...if there's no backup on scene, how can you detain the suspect if that stuff gets in your eyes? Is that type of possibility ever taught in academy?

Hopefully, the suspect becomes more overcome than the LEO's.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I don't carry a Taser so I use OC spray from time to time. Most of my use of force encounters have been primarily empty handed but the few times I have had to use OC it went pretty well and none of my fellow officers got contaminated. That said I have been contaminated by others and it does suck. A lot. You have to quickly assess the kind of person you're dealing with and decide if it's worth trying the spray. I've been lucky; those I've sprayed have pretty much curled up and given up after that. Other guys are not so lucky and get a ticked off attacker instead.

This past week i had the pleasure of getting a face-full of pepper spray as a requirement for my new job. I must say it was without a doubt the most awful experience of my life.

You've never been married.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Yeah, places other than the eyes also sucks pretty badly. The eyes are just a membrane that are particularly affected, and when affected tend to cause a loss in vision. The nose and mouth also great delivery system. If you've never taken a dried hot pepper and rubbed in on your skin, go try it out...

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons