• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nunchaku Practicality

Like Harkon, I am a huge fan of the nunchaku. They are my fave weapon, really fun to use, and impressively flashy. Also, if you had to fight with them, most people would not know how to defend against them.

However, since they are illegal in most situations, other than legitimate MA training, having the skill to use them is not the most useful (although I did fight off a knife wielding thug with them once).

I actually have the opposite opinion as shinka about its use. I think they are great for offense due to the speed but not as good for defense since blocking with a flexible weapon is not as effective. Although I suppose the trapping ability of the weapon is useful but not as commonly used.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would only use them in a dire situation. A strike to the head with an octagonal nunchaku baton with any force can kill. I keep a set in the house, they will never see the light of a real fight unless I was faced by a deadly weapon or superior numbers. Our village is not the Wild west, I hope it will never be the case; but I know where to find them.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• 2 weeks later...
Personally, I'm not that concerned with them.

If you've in a spot where you can pick and choose what you spend time with, these would be really down on my list. I've had a set in my hands training a VERY minimal amount during my time in the arts. And then I was using them under the tutelage of an instructor who used them as force multipliers in joint manipulation situations rather than in a ballistic manner.

If you're looking at practical weapons think knife, gun, club. All are much more common and practical than traditional weapons. Bear in mind, this list is mainly (and by that I mean totally :) ) concerned with sd. If you just want to train them for traditional purposes or just because you think they are a neat weapon, then by all means, train them. Both of these are perfectly legitimate reasons to learn a weapon. Just don't pick them up out of a desire to learn a sd weapon.

I agree and disagree with tallgeese here. I agree with him that if you are looking for something practical, then knife, gun, and club are the way to go. You can carry a folding knife in your pocket, you can acquire a conceal/carry license in most places, and you can keep a stick or small bat in your car without drawing undo attention to yourself. I find little league style wooden bats quite handy. So, you have three legal weapons on or near hand at a lot of times.

When it comes to the nunchaku, especially the practicality thereof, I think its important to find the right instructor. I think what many Martial Artists do with the nunchaku is pick them up and twirl them around and try to look cool. This is not the practical use of the weapon. Find someone that knows the combat applications of the weapon in order to train in it practically. To get an idea of what all that twirling does, hit a heavy bag with the 'chucks a few times, and see what happens. It will be eye-opening, for sure. But I think many instructors just teach the twirl factor of the nunchaku, so be aware when being taught.

I was taught three Okinawan Kata, and trained the practical application by striking bean filled wall bags. I think my Nunchaku training has been worthwhile. It is not the main focus of my training, but very interesting.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I was taught three Okinawan Kata, and trained the practical application by striking bean filled wall bags. I think my Nunchaku training has been worthwhile. It is not the main focus of my training, but very interesting.
It sounds like it you've got some of the good training, then. I know when I was in the ATA they had started up their Protech systems, and were starting to do more weapons stuff, making some requirements at black belt levels. The nunchaku stuff they did was mostly the twirling, and we never struck any target with it. In my mind, that's just not good weapons work.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I was cool when i was a kid swinging mine around, until later an instructor of mine showed me a kata and striking techniues, it was all practical and not flashy. Did not have the cool look but the application was real.

Good for hand eye coordination and a fun workout , they can be useful in combat but outlawed in CA and not practical to carry.

Enter-pressure-terminate