• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nunchaku Practicality

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Personally, I'm not that concerned with them.

If you've in a spot where you can pick and choose what you spend time with, these would be really down on my list. I've had a set in my hands training a VERY minimal amount during my time in the arts. And then I was using them under the tutelage of an instructor who used them as force multipliers in joint manipulation situations rather than in a ballistic manner.

If you're looking at practical weapons think knife, gun, club. All are much more common and practical than traditional weapons. Bear in mind, this list is mainly (and by that I mean totally :) ) concerned with sd. If you just want to train them for traditional purposes or just because you think they are a neat weapon, then by all means, train them. Both of these are perfectly legitimate reasons to learn a weapon. Just don't pick them up out of a desire to learn a sd weapon.

I cannot help but agree with Tallgeese.

However, nunchaku can be a fun weapon to use, and do wonders for two handed coordination.

I am all for arnis/escrima. Nothing beats being able to whoop a kinfe-wielding-someone with a rolled up newspaper.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I have a pair of heavy wooden nunchakus and did some minimal practice with them and I can confirm they can be quite damaging if used in assault/sd situations.

I would choose these over any knife or stick.

It depends on the type of nunchakus really. Most of the ones sold in martial art shops are for practice, shows and exhibitions.

Considering they are illegal here to transport, or use, they are relegated to minimal training. A basic on the way to learning more 'flexible' weapons.

Leaves fall.

• 1 month later...

Practical? Not Exactly. The closest thing you would find out in the world is probably a jumprope, which would be better used as a suruchin. However, a prisoner was able to use them effectively... http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/09/21/inmate-escapes-st-louis-jail-using-makeshift-nunchucks/

Anyways, if you are looking for a practical weapon, I would suggest (as others have above)

-Club (Rattan Sticks, Bo/Staff, Jo, Hanbo, or Cane)

-Knife

-Gun

-Pepper spray

-Tactical Flashlight

-Whatever those pointy metal keychain things are called

-Tactical Baton (although it is illegal in some places)

-Taser

Are they worth learning? Well, it depends. If they have any significance to you, your dojo, or your art, than sure.

Van

I am a fan of the Nunchaku. It is my training weapon of choice. Traditional Octagonal, cord tied ones are the best for me in oak. The edges of the octagon can perform horrific injuries in trained hands. The nunchaku gives great co-ordination and space awareness. Mind, it is a mid-distance weapon, you need some space to use it effectively. Close in I prefer the Tanto or Kubotan.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

they were mostly used as a defense weapon.... anyway

Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom.

Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.