• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is there such thing as having 'too much dedication'?

How often do you go to karate a week? (on average)  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you go to karate a week? (on average)

• 2 days or less
    • 3 or 4 days
    • 5 or 6 days

Do you think there's such thing as having too much dedication to karate. Every week I go atleast 5 or 6 times. But only two weeks, have I went 5 days. Only 1 week have I went 4 days. I personally think I'm going too much, but I'm dedicated to learn as much as I can about TSD. I've been going for 5 months, and I've only missed, like, 4 days total in the whole time I've been going. Excluding sunday, of course, when there's no class. Inn your opinion, is it a good thing I'm going this much, or do you think I need a break once in a while?

I guess the reason I was going that much before was because I didn't have any internet or cable before so I got sorta bored.

Your thoughts?

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's great to have dedication to your Karate. However, there is a lot to learn, with a steep learning curve, but many, many years to learn it.

For beginners at my dojo, I require that they train twice a week. Some of them ask about training more, but for their first 3-6 months, twice is often good - you don't want to flood yourself with too much information, and you want to give your body time to develop and adjust.

You should talk to your sensei though, I'm sure he can help with a plan.

Hope this helps.

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

I also require at least 2 classes a week and cap their attendance at 3 x until they have been studying for several months as some students can burn out if they immerse themselves too fast. I feel it is important for the instructor to know the students and recognize the signs of burnout before it is too late and the student quits.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Be careful not to burn out too fast :) You still want to be excited for every lesson and not get bored or frustrated with your training.

Also if going so much is impacting on your school work or other commitments you may want to scale it back a bit. Being dedicated is good but if other areas of your life are suffering its not so good.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

You probably can't be too dedicated, if this is your thing have at it.

I agree that you should work into 4-5 days per week. No reason to burn out, you'll have a lifetime to acquire skill, time like that should come naturally after you've fallen in love with an art.

I'm on the mat a lot,add in weights and running and such and it keeps me really busy. That said, I'll have a week here and there where I miss some days or write off axillary fitness stuff altogether. Additionally, every so often (usually post tournament and around the holidays or vacation) I'll take a week or so off totally. This gives you some total rest days.

We don't have seasons like most athletic endeavors. You need to make sure you're away from it long enough to have a break occasionally. The time away and how frequent you need them are directly related to how much time you're training already. At twice a week you'll need fewer weeks away than if you're running 5 days a week.

Lastly, as has been said, make sure you step away for family stuff. I suppose work too, but for me (and I love my job) work is an 8 hour interruption in my day. But make sure that you're not short changing other aspects of your life.

I would say that you can't be too dedicated but you can train too often, the two are not mutually exclusive. I train 3 (4 max) times per week and I must train at least enough times during a 3 months period that would equate to twice per week in order to grade (every 3 months) however, at the moment I am unemployed and have been throwing myself into training as a way of keeping my brain working. What I am finding is that if I train more than 4 times a week (there are 6 opportunities pw) I am not learning anymore than if I was going 2-3 times. You sort of peak out!

Anyway, what I tend to do it 3 pw, practice at home and do loads of reading on days off as well as other things like cardio vascular stuff eg cycling. The reading and learning about yours and other styles, along with practising what you have learned is where the dedication is, it isn't measured by clocking up Dojo time imo.

Only you know where your learning peak is, and only you know if you are benefiting from training on as many days as there are in the week. If 5 days works for you then carry on but it would be too much for me to do that many days in the Dojo!

Remember that rest and thinking time is as important as training and sleeping is when all that information you have learned sinks into the subconscious!

I don't think that one can be too dedicated because that observation belongs solely to the observer(s) and not the practitioner.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

When I did my 2nd and 3rd brown, I was going 4-5 times a week. I found my happy point to be at 3 times a week. Gives the muscles a few days to relax :)

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

I agree dedication is something you can't have too much of. But, if you find yourself always run down and unable to shake the soreness, you might need to take an extra day off to recover. But you might not feel that, either. As time goes on and life changes, you may find you don't have as much time available for training as you once did. So take advantage of it while you can.