• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What to look for in a Karate school?

ArtGood

Recently my son started to take karate classes at a local family martial art center. He really enjoys it, and I have no problems with the place at all, in fact I think they do a really good job with kids.

Watching my son has inspired me at the ripe old age of 38 to take up martial arts. I went to a consultation at a BJJ place and don't really feel like that is for me. I am considering signing up for adult karate classes at the place my son attends.

My question is, what should I look for in an adult beginner karate program?

I want a serious program with belts that are truly earned and not just given away.

Thanks for your input!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hot water

and someone who knows what they're doing. Check the technique of the senior students. If that's what you think karate should look like, go for it. Don't worry about belts. They can discourage you from switching dojos once you know better.

we all have our moments

Try not to go with a franchise who will no doubt have their marketing shpeel sorted but ultimately they need to make money and profit, avoid those clubs who insist you only buy equipment through them and and/or insist you pay your membership fee etc after your first free (usually) lesson and avoid clubs with losts of belt stages, who charge an arm and a leg for grading and, as you have eluded to, give out belts regardless of performance!

Imo, a good club should be teaching a good mixture of technique, kata, kumite and self defence and do a proper warm up at the beginning. ALso,another plus for me is a club that allows you to pay as you train as opposed to paying a monthly training fee!

If you're happy with your son's Dojo, why not try it out!

welcome to the forums.

It would be useful if u could find the syllabus they are using for teaching classes of all kyu grades and dans.

If the Dojo is affiliated with any of the big karate Federations like JKA, SKIF, ISKF, IJKA etc then they should have a certain standards to their training.

Where are you located by the way?

Welcome to the forum i guarantee you will enjoy this forum and the people on it.

Best thing I can suggest is you do your research, Google George Dillman to see what's good and what's bad. We on here are very respectful to all arts but another forum who's not as considerate as we are has a list of schools which aren't what they seem etc.

Saying that if you follow the advice above you won't go far wrong

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Best advice in choosing a school is to visit all the martial arts schools in your area and watch a few classes of the ones you like the most. You shouldn't concern yourself with style, whether it is BJJ or karate, etc. The single most important thing is how do you like the people and how the instructors teach. You can then narrow it down by style, organizational affiliation, etc. And I would certainly follow the advice of goggling any dojo you like, as well as that style and leadership. However, the chemistry of the place for you should be the first thing you consider.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Personally, I would look for somewhere that has nice people to train with (a disciplined, yet friendly attitude), quality higher level grades (do they look like they can actually hold their own?), as well as higher level students and instructors who now only demand respect, but also give it 100% of the time.

To me these are some of the more important tennents of the Martial Arts, and the reason I travel 1 hour each direction to train at my chosen dojo.

Welcome to the forums and best of luck! I hope you find the path you are looking for.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Hello and welcome! :}

Month to month is pretty standard, avoid schools that "guarantee" a black belt in a set amount of time, or rank in a set amount of time, I'd say. I tend to avoid long contracts too!

Go watch and then take a free class at whichever school you're looking into. Are you thinking of a stand-up (no grappling) style then? What's the most important aspect of martial arts to you?

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.