• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should I Wear A Cup Sparring?

Naked Snake

Yeah...I'd wear a cup no matter the rules..."No Groin Strikes Permitted"...great on paper, but no piece of paper is going to save my groin.

:o

It would have to be one heck of a piece of paper if it could!

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, so if you make it up here at the end of the month and we end up sparring, you'll wear some protective gear then? :D

Not that I'd assume I could ever manage to land something, LOL!

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

actually... i've never worn a cup, whether in class or at tournaments. i've always felt that if i got tagged in the goodies, i probably deserved it and should've done better to protect myself.

the way i look at it is - i'm not going to be walking around the street wearing a cup, right? (and i'm not saying wearing a cup makes you complacent when you train) so i try and spar as realistically as possible in class.

however, that sort of mentality isn't for anyone and its just my 2c..

• 2 weeks later...

Pertinent to this thread: a 15 year old I know is having surgery today to save his testicles after getting hit there during training last week. Wasn't wearing a cup but the class were only doing step-sparring. Took an accidental hit to the groin and a couple of days later he 's now having surgery. Spoke to his dad this morning and apparently its a question of whether they can save one of his balls and whether the other will still function. Something to think about there Naked Snake...

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Pertinent to this thread: a 15 year old I know is having surgery today to save his testicles after getting hit there during training last week. Wasn't wearing a cup but the class were only doing step-sparring. Took an accidental hit to the groin and a couple of days later he 's now having surgery. Spoke to his dad this morning and apparently its a question of whether they can save one of his balls and whether the other will still function. Something to think about there Naked Snake...

That must have been a hell of a hit...

:weirdlook: :dead:

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

Yeah I don't know as I wasn't there. When I spoke to his dad he did say that there may have been an underlying condition which they didn't know about and I think the major issue he said was that there was internal bleeding. Still, not a nice thing to happen and especially when that young.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 2 weeks later...

One can go down the hill as fast as they want ONE TIME, but one can go down the hill slow MANY, MANY TIMES. Wear a cup...macho and a very high squealing voice just don't mix...ya' know.

Every single member of our student body knows that I'm famous for doing cup checks before any Kumite session. What I do is have every male line up, I've a female instructor check the females, and then as I'm walking in front and by them...a give their groin a very VERY light tap...I find the ones not wearing one pretty fast, and the ones that are wearing one...they still nervously skip backward...but not fast enough...heheheheheheeheheeeee

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

You should...mostly with kids...they aim bad and they hit low so.... DAAAH!?

Also...a snap punch hurts more than a straight one ....trust me!

Like many says...if your teacher say not to wear it..it's because he will not be the one getting hit lol...

Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom.

Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.