• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should I Wear A Cup Sparring?

Naked Snake

When you employ enough inside thigh kicks, with shin or toe, one is going to slip high with everyone moving around. I trust all the guys I train with. I still wear my cup every time I'm on the floor. Takes one good, bruising kick, and you'll change your tune on them.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know they allow cups at my dojo... and people will sometimes wear them for tournaments.

Sometimes someone will wear them for a while, but usually they end up stopping at some point. Not sure why!

They are probably either wearing the wrong size cup or the wrong style cup, or they are not using compression shorts to hold it in place, so they are uncomfortable. For example, I find that the cups intended for use in baseball are useless in martial arts, and yet MANY people get them because they are the most readily available ones.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I recommend on wearing a cup all the time. But it all depends on whether your dojo allows groin kicks,

No They Don't Allow Groin Kicks.

A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth. What Miss Kaoru says... ...is play-talk that only those who have never stained their hands can say. When I See That Female Again From BK. I Will Kick Her Behind For Disgracing Me And My Friends Honor.

You can learn the easy way or the hard way...

You can always wear a cup

--OR--

You can wait until you get hit there.

I wear one, especially when sparring.

Totally agree, I wear mine all the time, we do a lot of bunkai so strikes to various regions is quite regular, so its easier to keep it on all the time, you won't realise It's there after a while

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Heh, I thought of this thread last night. My drilling partner wears his belt low. Really really low. It was hot and I was seriously off my game. Got him twice with mae geris. Poor guy, heh! He wasn't wearing a cup.

Probably sitting on some ice today.

He already got slammed hard by our head Sensei, but still no cup.

I guess we're insane over here, heh!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Heh, I thought of this thread last night. My drilling partner wears his belt low. Really really low. It was hot and I was seriously off my game. Got him twice with mae geris. Poor guy, heh! He wasn't wearing a cup.

Probably sitting on some ice today.

He already got slammed hard by our head Sensei, but still no cup.

I guess we're insane over here, heh!

Only answer I got for you evergrey

http://www.youtube.com/user/EnterTheDojoShow?v=wsM_wwek2k0

OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Yeah...I'd wear a cup no matter the rules..."No Groin Strikes Permitted"...great on paper, but no piece of paper is going to save my groin.

:o

**Proof is on the floor!!!