• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should I Wear A Cup Sparring?

Naked Snake

You should...mostly with kids...they aim bad and they hit low so.... DAAAH!?

Also...a snap punch hurts more than a straight one ....trust me!

Like many says...if your teacher say not to wear it..it's because he will not be the one getting hit lol...

Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom.

Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had someone take two groin punches last Sunday. Haha the guy throwing them felt bad- first one, he was aiming for the stomach but the guy whose groin got hit blocked and sent the blow right to the worst possible place.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

anyone seen this? dunno if its posted by someone before but it sure makes me wanna go out and buy a cup right now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3-RfOTlaQw&feature=related

The scarry thing is that these guys are wearing cups. Not just your ordinary cups, but often titanium ones that is expanded to protect the scrotum. Well... in theory it is supposed to protect the scrotum.

Sometimes it works... and sometimes it doesn't.

• 2 years later...

Yes defiantly,

especaly when sparing and training with little kids, my style of karate they have full contact sparing so anything goes.... And little kids aim so low and trust me if their new they have no control.. If someone hit me there I hit them bk harder so they better be protected lol.

In the adult class a cup is required, only in the adult class they do cup checks,

If your a male your sopoes to step forward and the sensi kicks you there, sometimes even tho cups r required some people will not wear them so bad news for them... US wearing them we have no problem....

Not to sound the wrong way, but this could very well be the dumbest question ever asked on here.

Not that I'd ever go without one, but if I absolutely had to, and had a choice between wearing it for an adult class or a kids' class, I'd choose to wear it for the kids' class every time. Some of them are at that perfect height to hit you in the groin. I swear I think there's magnets in my 4 year old daughters fists and my groin when I play spar with her. Same goes for my 6 and 8 year old nephews. Sure, they don't generate the power an adult does, but those little hands and feet generate a ton of pressure per square inch.

As for sparing adults or even advanced adults, just because they've got great control doesn't mean you can't move into a kick intended for the inside of your thigh.

Getting hit in the groin has been very rare for me when sparring against adults or even kids in the dojo. But it'll never be rare enough for me to not wear my cup every time. Is it really that difficult to put one on?

Not to sound the wrong way, but this could very well be the dumbest question ever asked on here.

Not that I'd ever go without one, but if I absolutely had to, and had a choice between wearing it for an adult class or a kids' class, I'd choose to wear it for the kids' class every time. Some of them are at that perfect height to hit you in the groin. I swear I think there's magnets in my 4 year old daughters fists and my groin when I play spar with her. Same goes for my 6 and 8 year old nephews. Sure, they don't generate the power an adult does, but those little hands and feet generate a ton of pressure per square inch.

As for sparing adults or even advanced adults, just because they've got great control doesn't mean you can't move into a kick intended for the inside of your thigh.

Getting hit in the groin has been very rare for me when sparring against adults or even kids in the dojo. But it'll never be rare enough for me to not wear my cup every time. Is it really that difficult to put one on?

Nope I don't think it that difclt to put on it just some say it's unconftuble, but my teacher always says if I get hit there by someone hit them back harder.........

my teacher always says if I get hit there by someone hit them back harder.........

I for one believe this to be an awful policy. No offence.

My one bit of advice is, accidents happen. Period. Learn to hold yourself accountable for your partner's mistakes. Don't allow blind rage to get the best of you, especially in a training situation where you are in a group setting and everyone is trying their best to learn. It's a hard concept to grasp I suppose but, your partner kicking you below the belt can just as easily be your mistake as much as theirs. However, if you lose control and nail them full force in the testicles BECAUSE they made a mistake which could have been your fault, then that's on you. Period. And if that's what your instructor promotes, then I hope for his/her sake they have the highest of insurance policies.

No cup, I've taken about 5 shots to the groin area in the past 2 years, most with good control, some with none, but my immediate instinct was never to injure my partners/opponents. (I've gotta buy a cup...)

Actually, it was to roll around crying hysterically, kicking and screaming, which I also most thankfully avoided doing.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

my teacher always says if I get hit there by someone hit them back harder.........

I for one believe this to be an awful policy. No offence.

My one bit of advice is, accidents happen. Period. Learn to hold yourself accountable for your partner's mistakes. Don't allow blind rage to get the best of you, especially in a training situation where you are in a group setting and everyone is trying their best to learn. It's a hard concept to grasp I suppose but, your partner kicking you below the belt can just as easily be your mistake as much as theirs. However, if you lose control and nail them full force in the testicles BECAUSE they made a mistake which could have been your fault, then that's on you. Period. And if that's what your instructor promotes, then I hope for his/her sake they have the highest of insurance policies.

No cup, I've taken about 5 shots to the groin area in the past 2 years, most with good control, some with none, but my immediate instinct was never to injure my partners/opponents. (I've gotta buy a cup...)

Actually, it was to roll around crying hysterically, kicking and screaming, which I also most thankfully avoided doing.

Ok, 1-no offense taken and yes I can see how mistakes can go both ways. It could be my fault or my partners, I agree.

2- I take groin shots almost every day, most of the time with no control, but sometimes with some, my style of karate (kenpo) we have individual Techniques that we do, some times we are told to do it fast sometimes we are told to do it slow, so that's where no control comes from!

In my origional instructors class (all adults and mostly men), NOBODY wore cups. There was no rule against it, but we just didn't. Or train of thought was that you won't be wearing one on the street (unless you're really strange) so you'd better start learning how to protect yourself in that area.

And yes, before you ask, the groin is most DEFINITELY a target.

Now, in my own classes I required young men under the age of 18 to wear a cup at all times. But from age 18 and up, it was optional. Most did...I never did. And yes, I've been put to the ground before because of it.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.