• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should I Wear A Cup Sparring?

Naked Snake

Even If I'm Sparring A Child My Teacher Say's Nah If It's A Child You

Guy's Don't Need To Wear Cup's.

A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth. What Miss Kaoru says... ...is play-talk that only those who have never stained their hands can say. When I See That Female Again From BK. I Will Kick Her Behind For Disgracing Me And My Friends Honor.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day, you need to make your own decisions. Personally, I hate wearing a cup but wouldn't think of not wearing one when sparring even with a child. Why take unnecessary chances?

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

When I started training I was told to wear a cup to every single class, whether we were sparring or not, because you never know what drills you may end up doing in class and if you end up working on drills that include lots of groin strikes, you will probably get hit eventually.

Let me pose a question to you, in answer to your question: why SHOULDN'T you wear a cup? What do you gain by not wearing one and what do you lose by wearing one?

Many people say that cups are uncomfortable, but I find that after I start moving around I forget that I have one on--I think that as long as you get a cup that fits properly, has soft edges and is held tight where it is supposed to be then it isn't that bad.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Maybe I Need To Get Hit In The Ball's To Start Wearing One. Maybe I

Need To Be Taught A Lesson. :wink:.

A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth. What Miss Kaoru says... ...is play-talk that only those who have never stained their hands can say. When I See That Female Again From BK. I Will Kick Her Behind For Disgracing Me And My Friends Honor.

Is this a serious question??? I always wear my cup no matter what. If your teacher says naaahhh, its because he isn't the one getting hit in the pills. lol

No, this is one of those situations where you should trust the advce of your peers. Get a cup. Wear t like it was part of your religion. There is no reason not to wear a piece of inexpensive gear that can prevent a life altering injury, or just keep you from puking on the deck from an accidental hit. Shock Doctor's steel is inexpensive and provides great protection. The whole dojo are believers.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Heh, nobody in my dojo wears a cup... but we aren't supposed to purposefully kick one another in the groin. I hear they pinch and are generally really uncomfortable.

That being said, groin kicks do occasionally happen. I've kicked a few of my male training partners in the groin on accident. Nobody was hurt though. They just did the make 'em drop again dance and then we carried on...

There is a risk there. But then there's also a risk to knees and fingers. I'm told broken fingers are one of the most common injuries in the dojo...

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

I would go with out a mouth piece before a cup. They can make replacement teeth and the other you just without if the injury is serious enough. Just saying you can order those from amazon or ebay.

I recommend on wearing a cup all the time. But it all depends on whether your dojo allows groin kicks, the intensity of sparring and the level of proficiency.At my dojo we wear cups all the time. In my friends dojo,few guys with black belts and above don't wear cups as they think that wearing a cup makes you complacent. Another reason is that they have trained with their fellow black belts for years and they have established a level of trust where they know that their opponent will have sufficient control. It all depends on you and your dojo at the end of the day..

I know they allow cups at my dojo... and people will sometimes wear them for tournaments.

Sometimes someone will wear them for a while, but usually they end up stopping at some point. Not sure why!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.