• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Decisions decisions

So last night I did my first class at this new school and I think I've found my new home. I did a beginner Muay Thai class and had a blast. The people were welcoming to me and the other new guy that started with me, and the class was intense and difficult but not too difficult for the new guy with no experience. I worked up a great sweat though and am even a bit sore today despite the beginner rating on the class.

The MT workout also showed me some of the differences from MT to TKD. I've always thought of MT and TKD as similar art forms (in fact my instructor told me a lot of tourneys in Korea that aren't federation owned will have the 2 styles sparring together), but aside from the fact that they both focus on hands, feet, knees and elbows they are very different systems. My old school wasn't your typical WTF sport school. There was a heavy focus on self defense and practical application, but even so I think I'm going to learn a lot here.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are theoretically at the level when you are free - black belt 1st dan always seemed like journeyman level. what does your instructor think? Maybe they know someone or want you to try teaching beginners.

Alternately there might be a great teacher of something nearby.

I did ask him but his suggestion to me was stay at his school and commute. lol

There are some places that seem great nearby, I guess what I'm having a hard time with is not progressing anymore in TKD in favor of another style. I like TKD, and 2nd Dan only feels like I'm half way. 4th Dan certifies you in the federation as a master and to run a school, but like I said the TKD schools don't seem the best in the area we now live. I kind of always thought of myself opening a MA school down the road somewhere and I feel like starting a new style now might be more of a setback to that goal than a help.

If this is your wish, then look into one of the other WTF schools nearby, and do the best you can with it. Once you are of rank to open your own school, you'll be able to do things your own way, and get away from that McDojangish feeling you get. You never know until you try it out, though.

Edit: I see I'm a bit late with my reply ;). Its great you've found something else you like. But, my suggestion above still stands, if you can make two styles work for you. But, if you feel confident with going another rout, then enjoy yourself!

Muay Thai is great! Some day I intend to cross-train in it. It has some really useful stuff!

Muay Thai is a great Art, I know I did it for over 2 years, but if you were going to cross train, I'd recommend a grappling art evergrey as you'd be an allround fighter. most of the techniques found in Kyokushin and Muay Thai are virtually the same

OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

OSU Dobbersky, I am very much hoping to someday train in BJJ. The problem is my knees and back could absolutely not stand up to it at this time, and they might not ever. I am hoping that they will someday though. I want to have a ground game for sure! Only it isn't safe now.

I've a friend who cross-trains his Kyokushin students in some complimentary Muay Thai techniques and they really give them a nice edge on the mat!

OSU

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Well like I mentioned before, this place has several instructors that teach different styles, and my membership there allows me to cross train in any or all of them if I desire to. I'm not just going to do MT as much fun as I had the other night. Since they offer both I'll probably do a stand up art (MT or their Karate class), and a grappling art (they offer BJJ, and they have a guy who also coaches shoot wrestling).

It's interesting how this place operates. I never imagined myself in a hybrid school but the setup they have with the multiple instructors coupled with the ability to take any classes you want there for one fee really makes for the ability to create a nice custom curriculum for yourself.

I also spoke with the owner about my TKD training and what I should do and he had some good words to say. Basically he told me that if I want to be a purist and do just TKD that their school isn't for me, but i can always cross train at his school to round myself out and practice TKD on the weekends with my buddies from my old school. I may have forgotten to mention that 2 of my buddies are assistant instructors (they've already agreed to this as of this writing) and can teach me the 2nd Dan curriculum and then I can just pay to test at a WTF sanctioned school locally. There's a few in my area. I'm glad at how this has worked out because it seems I can have the best of both worlds. :D

They teach Kempo Karate. I got to try a class on Friday and really enjoyed it. They also implement a lot of TKD kicking techniques into their Kempo system because from the waste down Kempo seems to be a little on the weak side of things.

Ahh, interesting, thank you!

I've a friend who teaches movie stunt stuff out of a local kempo dojo (but he doesn't, himself, teach kempo) however I have not been by to watch any of it. We haven't had a kempo person show up to our open sparring day yet either, far as I know.

I'm always interested in hearing about different schools and styles. Please do keep us updated about the various classes you take! :D

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Tonight I'm going to try a BJJ class. Haven't done a grappling class of any kind since a wrestled in high school.. Should be fun.