• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Decisions decisions

So I seem to be at a crossroads in my martial arts walk. For the last 8-9 years or so I've been practicing WTF TKD with a very talented instructor. My wife and I recently moved and bought our first home on the other side of the state. It's not too far but far enough where commuting would be too big of a financial drain for it to be a regular thing so I ended my time at my old school and am searching for a new one in the area we moved.

There are a bunch of schools in my area but the couple of WTF dojangs there are feel McDojangish and I'm not really sure about them. There are a handful of schools based around other styles and a couple MMA gyms in the area as well. I really would like to proceed farther in TKD though, because just before moving I tested and passed my 2nd Dan test, and I feel like I'm finally getting really decent at what I do. On the other hand (and she may be right) my wife thinks this may be a good breaking point to try another style.

I guess what I'm looking for is advice/incite from others who've been in a similar scenario.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are theoretically at the level when you are free - black belt 1st dan always seemed like journeyman level. what does your instructor think? Maybe they know someone or want you to try teaching beginners.

Alternately there might be a great teacher of something nearby.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

You are theoretically at the level when you are free - black belt 1st dan always seemed like journeyman level. what does your instructor think? Maybe they know someone or want you to try teaching beginners.

Alternately there might be a great teacher of something nearby.

I did ask him but his suggestion to me was stay at his school and commute. lol

There are some places that seem great nearby, I guess what I'm having a hard time with is not progressing anymore in TKD in favor of another style. I like TKD, and 2nd Dan only feels like I'm half way. 4th Dan certifies you in the federation as a master and to run a school, but like I said the TKD schools don't seem the best in the area we now live. I kind of always thought of myself opening a MA school down the road somewhere and I feel like starting a new style now might be more of a setback to that goal than a help.

It seems like you got a lot going on. In the UK you can open a school with a 1st Dan black belt.

I would ask your instructor to assist you opening a Dojang where you live as a satellite of your original club, and he can come and do the gradings etc in the club you got etc.

Only issue wofuld be once you got your 4th, will you continue under him as I am sure if his name was "on the door" he'd expect a "royalty" cheque etc.

Good luck my friend.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Tough spot.

While I understand the desire to progress up the food chain, this is a good opportunity. I'd think that after a survey of what's in your new area, you'd have an idea of which school might best fit your personality. If that's the way you want to go.

Is there any option to continue your progression in your core style while, perhaps at a slower pace, while studying at a school closer to your new location? Would your current instructor be okay with any sort arrangement that would let you do both?

Might be worth asking. Either way, let us know which direction you decide on.

I'll begin by saying I'm certainly biased. Also, I realize my state is much larger than yours. But I feel it's both insensitive and greedy for your instructor to expect you to drive across the state to continue training with him. Gas is very expensive, time is even more valuable. Basically, he's invested alot of time in training you and doesn't want to lose a high ranking student. But he has to get over it and you do too.

My suggestion would be to go to a reputable MMA gym. The reason for this suggestion is three fold:

1. You can continue to fight and train the way you do now. Just because you're in an MMA gym doesn't mean you have to suddenly start kickboxing or muay thai. Loyoto Machida has made a great name for himself using his Karate style fighting. It's just a matter of honing those skills to work in a more alive environment, which brings me to my second point.

2. An MMA gym will allow you to find out exactly which aspects of TKD work well under more real conditions. Despite what others may think, alot will work just fine (with practice and patience). There are other things you may want to let go. But learning what works for you is an advanced form of any martial art and is something your instructor can not teach you. It's not abandoning your teaching as much as it is finding yourself in those teachings. To become truly skilled, it's something you must do.

3. You'll have access to skill sets that will patch up any holes you find. For example, maybe you find you're susceptible to takedowns (i realize you know wrestling, it's just an example), an MMA gym is likely to have someone who can help you with that and give you options.

Whatever decision you make, I wish you good luck. Let us know how it goes!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

All good pieces of advice.

I got in touch with a master of a school near my home and he offers a couple styles. I really like this teacher's attitude toward the martial arts and blending what is practical from different systems together and eliminating what's unnecessary. I'm going to do a trial class there this week. He doesn't offer TKD but he is very driven and wants to sit with me one on one to discuss my goals in the martial arts so he can help me achieve them. Like I said I really like his attitude.

I also like the advice about hitting up an MMA gym. There are 2 near me that look good so I'll be visiting them as well. Cost wise they are the best, but I'll pay what it takes for a perfect fit.

In response to the statement about my former instructor being greedy, I do agree a bit. The last several years the school seems to be more financially driven than it used to be even to the point where getting a black belt is notably easier than it was when I did it just so they can charge more frequently for tests and whatnot . It's really a shame because he really is a great teacher but his school seems to be more of a business now than a real martial arts school like it used to be. It kills me to say that because I've had a lot of good years there.

I'll keep you posted on how the places I visit are and what goes on.

As an update, I decided to pay a visit in person to the school I mentinoed the other day. They are a mixed styles school but it's taught differently than most I've seen. Typically mixed style schools (at least in my experience) are a teacher that teaches his/her primary style and then teaches watered down versions of some other styles. This school has different instructors/coaches that are instructors in their dedicated styles (certified in their appropriate associations/federations) and most of them are students that cross train in the other systems that the school offers.

I've always been leery on mixed system schools, but this setup sounds much better than most. What really is selling me on the place is not what they offer but the attitude of the teachers. The owner and his assistants that I was introduced to all have some of the best attitudes I've ever seen in a martial arts school. Most are professional but these guys are just downright encouraging to the extent that they told me they hope I feel like it's a good fit, but if I don't like it I should find a place that does make me happy and offers what I want. Most schools I've been to are helpful and polite but in the end are still mostly about the money and will try and sell it, and that never bothered me because in the end it is a business. These guys just told me what they offer and are leaving it up to me with no pressure.

Here's a link to their site. Any feedback from you guys is appreciated.

http://www.teamplusone.com/

Well wow, heh!

I'd think you'd at least find one instructor there you liked, haha! That's pretty interesting, really.

My Sensei went to a martial arts club that was similar to that out in Texas, and he really liked it. Didn't like every instructor, but some he liked quite a bit. :}

I like that the website isn't tacky.

I really like that there are no contracts. That is also a good sign.

Fascinating concept. Look for the tough instructors, haha. I mean that's a personal preference for me, but the ones that push you can really take you far, imo!

I say check it out, if it gives you a good feeling. No contract, so if you find you don't like it, you can always move on.

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Heh, well I'm trying it out tomorrow so I'll let you know. I'm pretty excited about it. I have a couple other places I'm going to see (possibly this weekend), but I think this is where i'm going to end up pending the classes are good.