• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just watching He-Man...

Liver Punch

So, I have this collection of He-Man DVDs and I have to say, this makes less sense than anything ever in the history of the universe. Like, seriously. Discuss.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Skeletor a bodybuilder with a flesh-eating face fungus? What is Orco?

How is the leader of the "Masters of the Universe" I mean the UNIVERSE, some roided out dude with a sword and a rather suspect costume?

Oh well. Chewbacca lives on Endor.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I still enjoy a good He-Man show from time to time. My son found them on Netflix and is getting a kick out of them.

Even though I am a fan of Dolph the live action movie was absolutely horrible though.

Okay, challenge accepted. I'm off to youtube to watch some He-Man.

Really? Did I really just say that? Oh, well. Be back in a bit.

The live action version was pretty great - you know, in a lousy sort of way. I think it shows how good it could actually be.

The first problem it has, is that there's about 10 different acceptable storyline for the whole thing.

In the mini-comics, he's a barbarian and the two halves of the power sword are big important thing.

In the cartoon, he's a prince who's mother is from earth and a bunch of other nonsense that's make out of sheer plot holes.

In the newer incarnations, I have no idea what's going on - which brings me to my next point: If you turn away from an episode of He-Man for 10 seconds, you'll be completely baffled as to what happened, who the people on the screen are, and how the heck the story got to where it is. It's like concentrated A.D.D drank a gallon of jolt cola.

What's with the Masters of the Universe universe? It's barbarians, monsters, and magic. Ok, I get that - it's a pretty standard formula. But wait, there's also computers, lasers, rocket ships, and....what?!?!

Also, why not more Hordak? He's a cybernetic bat-guy thing, what's not to love?

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

Well, after taking up this challenge and watching a couple of episodes I can truly say, I have no idea what just happened. Wow, does this just not hold up or what. It's like when I watched the old G I Joe on late night once looking forward to nostalgic fun and instead was left baffled when I realized that the cartoon actually thought that the sailor with the parrot was cool.

Right, so which is it, barbarian hordes fighting monsters or an advanced race using technology to build ray guns. Seems pretty hard to connect the dots on that one. Then again we are talking about He-man and maybe we're asking a bit much.

FYI, the comics from the 80's were WAY better than the cartoon counter parts. G I Joe most notably up to issue 60 or so was a GREAT book. Transformers as well fared much better in just about every aspect in the comics. Nix that, not just about, in every area it was better.

Not having seen the He-man comics I would assume that they are vastly better as well. Devils Due comics did a fantastic reboot of G1 Transformers awhile back, and a direct sequel to G I Joe that was fantastic. A similar, more nonsensical, He-Man run from a similar company would probably yield pretty fun results for us children of the 80's.

In addition to Netflix and DVDs, for anyone wanting to watch He-Man & the Masters of the Universe, go here:

http://www.hulu.com/he-man-and-the-masters-of-the-universe (all 130 episodes appear to be available for free, legal viewing - in the U.S., at least)

http://www.youtube.com/user/heman

Thanks,

Patrick

Edited by Patrick

In addition to Netflix and DVDs, For anyone wanting to watch He-Man & the Masters of the Universe, go here:

http://www.hulu.com/he-man-and-the-masters-of-the-universe (all 130 episodes appear to be available for free, legal viewing - in the U.S., at least)

http://www.youtube.com/user/heman

Thanks,

Patrick

Nice! Thanks.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma