• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One-Steps, Angle Drills, Ippon Kumite

Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing and starting this discussion, MasterPain.

Patrick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like your drills, MP. I love how they flow together, and you aren't really learning a whole new one-step each time you go up in rank.

Our one-steps are hard block and strike oriented. Some work angles better than others. I have done some work with them where I've taken the one-step further from the block attack/counter format to a more streamline format for self-defense. The problem is, I don't get to do them in class. Its usually just with my DT partners. I may try to get a few uploaded, but I'm afraid my instructor might have kittens if he sees any of our stuff out on the web.

Nice video MasterPain. I like the way your one-steps kinda build up principles and concepts rather than just a whole load of techniques..

That is the base of the art that MP and myself practice, it is very principle based. We find that due to different body types and skill sets that is what works best for us.

I believe tallgeese has an article related to the topic of principle based martial arts.

Very nice MP across the board. Angling takes some guts because if ones not careful, one creates openings for ones opponent. Everything you did spoke to me TUITE set ups/closes....LOVED IT!!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Nice video MasterPain. I like the way your one-steps kinda build up principles and concepts rather than just a whole load of techniques..

That is the base of the art that MP and myself practice, it is very principle based. We find that due to different body types and skill sets that is what works best for us.

I believe tallgeese has an article related to the topic of principle based martial arts.

This is really the thing to stress with the angle drills out of Bujin, they aren't "techniques" per se to be regurgitated IF the situation ever mimics the movement, they are teaching tools for principle. You can then plug and fit those aspects into proper situations.

I think one thing I've realized over the last few years (in some part due to discussion here) is that a lot of arts strive for this. The thing about Bujin's philosophy is that it's built into to paradigm from day one and rather than uncover this at some point, it's preached early on and throughout your time in the system.

The angle drills we use are a core part of that education. Nice vids, MP, btw :)