• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One-Steps, Angle Drills, Ippon Kumite

Whatever you call them, most arts have them. Uke attacks, you defend and counter. Post video, or an explanation of your art's drills, and the guiding ideas behind them.

I'll start. These are our first few sets of angle drills. They work off of the principles of Evade, Stun, Unbalance and Control. The first 3 sets start to lay the foundation and only work through the evade and stun. They teach you to get of the line of attack, redirect, and counterstrike, with hips behind the strike. The next two sets go from the initial attack all the way through to controlling or destroying as needed. I did mess up on Purple #1. You'll have to forgive me, cameras still freak me out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VfjAOxep2s

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nice techniques on that, putting them together would create an awesome Kata

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Nice techniques on that, putting them together would create an awesome Kata

I prefer 44 awesome mini- kata. Makes it easier to blend them together in a random flow based on fed energy later.

I like it, very interesting, simple yet powerful techniques.

Thanks. I really love these drills.

Anyone else have examples? It doesn't have to be you doing them.

Video still loading, as you drag people back into frame MasterPain. Liking the angles worked and the drills. Nice, easy and good mechanics. We got similar on video (almost said "tape" out of habit. Dang VHS habits!). Something in the multi-gb range of stuff that we still haven't up loaded. Pitbulljudoka has it all and I pray his hard drive doesn't try to die again.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Video still loading, as you drag people back into frame MasterPain. Liking the angles worked and the drills. Nice, easy and good mechanics. We got similar on video (almost said "tape" out of habit. Dang VHS habits!). Something in the multi-gb range of stuff that we still haven't up loaded. Pitbulljudoka has it all and I pray his hard drive doesn't try to die again.

I hope to get to see it. I thought it was time to put these to digital format. All the good stuff seems to be on VHS. Although I did find a copy of Chuck Norris' The Octagon on DVD a couple weeks ago. The fact that someone thought to bring it to a new format restored some of my faith in humanity.

Nice video MasterPain. I like the way your one-steps kinda build up principles and concepts rather than just a whole load of techniques.

In our school we do one-steps and step sparring but different to most in that we don't have any set combinations or sequences. We're supposed to use it as the bridge between kata and sparring. We don't have a concept of bunkai so I guess in a way it fills that role as you're supposed to be able to use whatever blocks and counters that you've learnt in fundamentals and kata training and apply them.

At low colour belt level the attacker is just doing a front punch or kick, at higher levels it can be any strike or kick appropriate to your grade as instructed by the examiner or instructor in class. You have to come up with your own responses based on what techniques and stances you've been taught. Then for 1st dan and above its practised without you knowing what the attack is (kick or strike) so you have to read what's coming and react accordingly. On the whole you learn to classify attacks as linear, inward-to-outward, outward-to-inward, upwards or downwards then come up with a set of responses for each. Then it doesn't matter if the attacker throws a ridgehand, inward knife-hand, roundhouse or haymaker as they would all be outward-to-inward attacks and as soon as you see the trajectory you can react.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I guess Shorikid has called me out on my slow upload habits. Now I have to find it and put a video together.

But great video, thanks for sharing. Great techniques looks very effective.

Not calling you out Pittbull. I know we've got a ton of video and we've got similar drills we work.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine