• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unique teaching methods

I'm attempting to obtain my 1st Dan rank at the end of the year and one of the criteria before the grading is that we have to teach 10 classes. We are given a broad topic for each class and we get to choose how we teach it. The topics include: Kata, Multiple attacker self defence, cardio/endurance, Sparring, Punching bag, Focus Mitts/Kick shields, Knife/Weapons as well as some personal choice classes.

Sounds straight forward, but each class has to have something unique to how it is taught. The idea is to make us think outside the box. However, I've run out of ideas. I was hoping some folk here would be able to help.

To give you an idea of what I mean, some of the classes I have taught so far are...

Kata: I chose a kata that half the class didn't know and taught it using a 2 person drill. They didn't realise they were doing kata until the end of class.

Multiple Attacker: Just normal self defence while being distracted. e.g. being hit from multiple directions, having their eyes covered etc.

Sparring: (someone else did this) Sparring wearing an eye patch to simulate being partially blinded during a fight.

If you have an unorthodox way of teaching particular lessons, I'd love to hear it. Even if it sounds ridiculous, I could probably still make it into a decent class.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sometimes I work footwork and knee lift patterns into an extended warm up and then use the same patterns in sparring drills (with the kicks and counters, etc)-that way they are already familiar with the motions and can spend more time with the actual application of it.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Finding how many applications of all the "warm up" exercises is a good one, you'd be surprised how many there are.

I don't think I have any "special" teaching methods but I been doing it that long its become the norm.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

What about defending against common attacks from other methods of fighting, i.e. Judo throws, Muay Thai kicks or elbow techniques, etc.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

On occasion I make student run kata in reverse, or spin around every time they step over in Naihanchi. I also like marking off a small space (usually about 3ft square) and make them run an entire kata without leaving that space. My sensei also likes having people do a kick every time they are in a cat stance in kata, or have them drop and do a pushup every two, three or four movements. In my old dojo we had many types of sparring that you could do, such as mawate (you have to spin before every strike in order for it to count), seiza (sparring from the knees), hands-only vs. feet-only, etc.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 4 weeks later...

I do "theme" days. One day it's Katas, another day it's DM's (defensive maneuvers), another is sparring, and lastly we have "Hell Days" or calisthenics/hard workout days.

I think it works well and you can easily match them to kid's, teens, beginner adult, or advanced adult classes.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

Battleship sparring, if you get hit you have to take a piece of gear off and cant use that arm or leg.

Lol this almost sounded like the karate version of strip poker there when I read that ....

On occasion I make student run kata in reverse, or spin around every time they step over in Naihanchi.

We do this in Kyokushin, but its known as "Kata in Ura". All kata can be done this way, with either Kaiten (forward spin) or Sagari (backwards spin) on every strike move, but leaving the blocking moves as normal steps.

It can actually be quite difficult.

As for teaching methods - I would just try to mix each class up. Itys good to be able to show you can drill the basics in, and that is certainly an important part of students learning, however - it is also important to keep interest.

Some Kyokushin lessons I have gone to, we focus on a kata (Pinan or similar), and later that week, we will spend 45 min or so on takedowns, locks and throws from that kata. it really helps tie things together and show that Kata is not just "fancy dancing".

Osu

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."