• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gracie compatives DVD box, if you don't need it any more

Dobbersky and ps1,

I'll check the book "Jiu-Jitsu; Theory and Technique".

Gracie university has a free ebook for combatives 36 lessons, but I would like to read more about concepts and principles ( and learn to use them:-)

It's a pretty good book. However, and I have a big library, the best one you can get is called, Jiu-Jitsu University, by Saulo Ribeiro. It really hits home what you should be doing at what level of training. The techniques are solid and appropriate for all levels of training.

http://www.amazon.com/Jiu-Jitsu-University-Saulo-Ribeiro/dp/0981504434/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340552252&sr=8-1&keywords=jiu-jitsu+university

There's a link for it. Honestly, it's a must have for anyone serious about BJJ.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree. Jiu Jitsu University is a great book for defining what one's focus should be at every level of training.

ps1 you took the words right out of my mouth. Jiu Jitsu University is a great book that I was referred to by my instructor as the best jiu jitsu book on the market. I use to as a refrence manuel since I can only train one day a week, it's been very helpful.

Jiu Jitsu University is the only book on the subject I have. I typically go to class each week and we all learn several techniques together from our instructor. I find it difficult to add more than one technique from the book in class per week or two. I am one who really likes to get something down before moving on. What makes it difficult, is that in randori, you are either in a position to apply something or you are not. There is so much truth and wisdom in this post that applies to all martial arts:

But honestly xo-karate, it sounds like you're looking for a magic bullet. Some set of moves that, in and of themselves, will make you better at bjj. There is no such thing. This is because BJJ (as any martial art when practiced properly) is more than the sum of it's parts. Let's say, as an hypothetical example, that BJJ has 1000 different techniques. You could go and learn each move and perfect each move, but all your left with is 1000 moves. BJJ isn't about how many moves you learn. Just like any other live activity, it's about strategy, mechanics, timing and the amount of work you put into it. Once you get very good at basic mechanics and have a good idea of what your BJJ is like, then you can begin learning new moves that fit into your scheme or expand your scheme.

For now, stick to fundamentals. They're fundamental for a reason...ie: THEY WORK. They aren't working for you yet because you aren't good at them yet. Come back in 10 years and we'll talk more about this.

Every sport and every martial art always comes down to fundamentals. Fancy techniques can work when someone who is a master of the fundamentals is fighting someone, but they are already absolute masters of the fundamentals and stay that way through always practicing the fundamentals over and over and over again.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Actually I am so new to BJJ that I am still looking for the fundamentals. I've tried to understand concepts and principles, but there is so many ways to "see the elephant". It's so big and every body sees it from a slightly different angle. Me - I am looking at the elephant under it most of the time:)

I sure you guys - most of the senior belts tell me to do more fancy tricks, but I just try to get to a better position and survive.

Positive note is that I am getting better in seeing what is happening - or atleast understand what just happened and that's progress, too. I am not looking for submissions. I am looking to survive. That's good enough for a 54 y old against bigger and stronger 20 somethings.

Actually I am so new to BJJ that I am still looking for the fundamentals. I've tried to understand concepts and principles, but there is so many ways to "see the elephant". It's so big and every body sees it from a slightly different angle. Me - I am looking at the elephant under it most of the time:)

I sure you guys - most of the senior belts tell me to do more fancy tricks, but I just try to get to a better position and survive.

Positive note is that I am getting better in seeing what is happening - or atleast understand what just happened and that's progress, too. I am not looking for submissions. I am looking to survive. That's good enough for a 54 y old against bigger and stronger 20 somethings.

Ribeiro's book makes it clear that at our level, we should be focusing on just escapes as white belts. That is pretty much what I have been working on. The upper belts in my school are very skilled and do justice to their belts. It is a challenge to work on the escapes.

Matsubayashi Ryu

Ribeiro's book makes it clear that at our level, we should be focusing on just escapes as white belts. That is pretty much what I have been working on. The upper belts in my school are very skilled and do justice to their belts. It is a challenge to work on the escapes.

Yes, you'll like Saulo's book. Survive...that's your only job right now. Survive and learn.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Yes, you'll like Saulo's book. Survive...that's your only job right now. Survive and learn.

Yes, been looking at it almost every day for almost two months. It is a great book and I am totally overwhelmed at how much I need to learn. I guess I felt the same way when I was a white belt in karate.

Matsubayashi Ryu

Yes, been looking at it almost every day for almost two months. It is a great book and I am totally overwhelmed at how much I need to learn. I guess I felt the same way when I was a white belt in karate.

Makes one feel young again:) I started karate 40 years ago and practiced 3 - 4 hours a day, but it was so much easier. You just needed to stretch, do push ups and shadow boxing or katas.

Learning bjj between classes is very much more difficult - unless you have a training partner.