• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gracie compatives DVD box, if you don't need it any more

Yes, been looking at it almost every day for almost two months. It is a great book and I am totally overwhelmed at how much I need to learn. I guess I felt the same way when I was a white belt in karate.

Makes one feel young again:) I started karate 40 years ago and practiced 3 - 4 hours a day, but it was so much easier. You just needed to stretch, do push ups and shadow boxing or katas.

Learning bjj between classes is very much more difficult - unless you have a training partner.

:) Lol....my friend...the thing that made it less difficult is the fact it was 40 years ago....lol.

I know what you mean though. There are drills and such you can do. But, for the most part, you do need a partner to train BJJ. That makes it much more difficult to get good.

You may have seen them, but Jason Scully does a good series of videos on you tube with BJJ partnerless exercises.

This is just one of them. He actually has a ton of great stuff and he's well respected in the art. May even give you some more ideas on what to practice.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The book "Drill to Win" by Andre Galvao has some good partnerless drills as well. However, the bulk of the book is drills with partners. That said, if you can get your hands on a copy it does have a handful of things for you. That said, it's an excellent book.

I think I need to include Scully's solo drills to my gym workouts as warm-up moves. Usually I do a 5 minute bike as a warmup, but maybe I could do a 10 minute solo drill instead. (10 minutes as it's more useful to do drills - I could learn something - cycling is not much demanding for motor skills:-)

Ordered the book "drill to win by andre galvao". It might be very useful for me as I am trying to get partners to drill - Now I have something new to share:)

(Ok - also Gracie combatives lessons are something new even thou it's also same old basics.)

:) Lol....my friend...the thing that made it less difficult is the fact it was 40 years ago....lol.

I know what you mean though. There are drills and such you can do. But, for the most part, you do need a partner to train BJJ. That makes it much more difficult to get good.

You may have seen them, but Jason Scully does a good series of videos on you tube with BJJ partnerless exercises.

This is just one of them. He actually has a ton of great stuff and he's well respected in the art. May even give you some more ideas on what to practice.

What are you trying to say? That I am a senile old man???? :lol: Point of fact though, it was only 22 years ago that I started karate. :wink:

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Very interesting turn in my Gracie project. Our dojo owner said that I can use the place for unofficial gracie lessons. If I open an official Gracie garage, I am not welcomed even to practice at the dojo. He said it's a team issue. Can't have a member from an other team hanging around.

In a way this makes sense, but garage does not produce competitors. It's only self defense.

I don't know if I want to open an official gracie garage, but I am not happy with the "ultimatum". On the other hand our club is the only place to practice bjj.

I can go back to Judo, Han Moo Do, Karate, boxing and continue bjj in a garage - or stick to the rules and roll with the guys are better and fitter than I am. They are just a little bit too good for my body. I'm not getting younger and they train for competitions. Slow roll has a bad reputation at our club - it's for sissies:)

I don't have to make up my mind yet, but I should do something before Autumn.

(Maybe the hard line for official garage is a business decision. Gracie garage might be competition of drafting new students? At he moment it has not been a problem to our club. They can take 50 new students to a class and classes have waiting lists. Problem is that only 5 continue after the basics.)

Tough spot. I can say that I've had some form of home workout facility since I've resided out of my parents home. No one I've ever trained with had a problem with it.

My major worry would be the "it's for sissy's" attitude. Rolling slower is the best way to build individual moves into your game. It's also a great way to train to keep yourself in one piece. I rarely roll above 50 percent speed and power. Usually less.

It doesn't mean that the gym isn't a good one. It just means that it wouldn't be the best fit for me. Potentially, it's not for you either. Just something to give thought to.

Yep,

it's a good club. We had 4 competitors in Los Angeles Mundials and 1 got silver. It's good for a small town of 100 000 habitats and very far from "bjj knowledge".

It just might be too good for me. I'll try to hang in for half a year and at the same time get some people interested in BJJ. I think that Han Moo Do people might be interested in adding self defense type of bjj to their program. It has grappling in their free fighting so bjj might be ok for them.

Han Moo Do is a style that likes to include anything ... that works. (Of course their is a Korean head instructor, who might disagree, but I just have to clear it first.)

Got the book "Jiu-Jitsu University, by Saulo Ribeiro". Looks very understandable.

I also tried out the gracie lessons, but looks like I can use only the "reflect development drills". At least first lessons are so basic that people don't have the passions to watch them. RDD can be used as warmup:)

For first session I got one partner and tomorrow is the next one.

Got the drill to win book today.

And no one was interested in Gracie RDD. I'll have to try the lessons somewhere else - maybe with people that are new to bjj.

Now I have a bundle of stuff to try at bjj class - like Ribeiros stuff:)