• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chaining attacks and such

What are some techniques you drill in a series? Some things flow good together. Like armbar-omo-triangle-armbar. Post some of your favorite drills.

Anything complicated, please include video.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
What are some techniques you drill in a series? Some things flow good together. Like armbar-omo-triangle-armbar. Post some of your favorite drills.

Anything complicated, please include video.

I am still a beginner and don't think I am really at the stage to really focus on such, but think this an excellent topic. I found a good video on this the other day on Youtube:

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

When we look at chaining attacks, and it's important aspect of the game, it is important to remember that we're not just training them for the purposes of putting some attacks together for the sake of it. We need to look at each attack as the one that finishes our opponent. If done right, an opponent HAS to respect it and account for it by defending. That defense opens another avenue that gives us to take advantage of. It's a fine distinction, but one that's import to our mindset and how we work and spend energy.

As to the actual chins that I work here are a few example:

cross collar choke- partner defends- arm bar-postures-omo

from the omo- flatten and sub- partner postures- back roll sweep- partner goes forward to stop- triangle

side- knee in- base ball bat choke- defend- far side arm bar- defends with grip- switch to triangle- partner establishes base defends- belly down arm bar.

It's also important to note that all of this happens for a couple of reasons. First, your position IS the submission series. Without it, there's no reason for your partner to be threatened. Next, each sub MUST be solid technically. If not, your opponent doesn't need to respect it to give you the next one.

My short stubby legs aren't very conducive to good triangles, but other than that, I've worked most of the stuff in the video incidentally, but it helps to see it and think about these things, so I can drill them more. Thanks.

Alex, I've never worked that back roll sweep. I'll try to remember to have you show me that next time you're down here.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

• 2 weeks later...
Suplex to suplex to suplex? Dan Severn did it...

Normally I would say you need to put an arm drag or something before those three, but since its the Dan Man I think that will do just fine :)

Checkout my Insta and my original music: https://www.instagram.com/andrewmurphy1992/

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy

A nice one that takes you through alot of different positions is:

Side Control, Spinning Armbar (opponent grabs his hand), back control, rear naked choke (release to continue flow), seatbelt control, (opponent rolls and attempts to throw you over, release hooks and sprawl maintaining seat belt control, switch to guillotine and sit to guard (opponent grabs choking arm for defense), elevator sweep to mount (release guillotine to continue flow), (opponent elbow escapes to half guard) Reverse sit pass to side control, North South choke or knee bar to finish...Dig the underhook and spinning armbar to repeat.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I'm going to have to write some of these chains out to practice with when we roll.

One we practice regularly, arm bar to omo to triangle (three brothers), they pressure in, omo sweep, to mount, spin off to arm bar.

Honestly right now, I often use the threat of the attack to gain/regain position. I feel okay as long as I seem to be progressing to a better place even when the attacks are failing one after the other.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

One I like is a positional flow. Start with your partner in your guard, scissor sweep to mount, go to side control, then to north-south, to side controll (on the opposite side you started), knee on belly, back to mount. Your partner then shrimps to half guard then on to full guard. They then gets to run through the postions.