• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Students From Other Schools

A couple months ago, a new student came to the adult black belt class (by no means a masters' club). He was a traveling professor of sorts, and had just moved from California. At CA, he had done some BJJ and received a Black Belt in Aikido. He teaches nearby, but may only be teaching there for a year or two, so my instructor kindly allowed him to participate in the adult Black Belt class (although he has no Kempo experience) during his time here as an informal student (he doesn't test for higher ranks, ect). He has probably has more experience in the martial arts than the majority of the students in my class (we are mainly 1st and 2nd degrees), and does fine in the class. I am impressed with his skill and enjoy having him in class.

NOTE: There is an adult class for pre-black belt students, but my instructor probably saw the Black Belt class as a better fit, due to the more advanced teaching.

Now for discussion?

-Would you allow this student to participate in your Senior classes?

-OR-

-Would you have him start as a white belt?

Van

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It sounds like he's a good fit by what you said. He's qualified, plays well with others, and keeps up with what you're doing. It sounds like an easy choice to me. If he brings a good energy to class and you all have a mutual exchange of ideas it seems like a great opportunity.

That's just silly Politics

I hate this rubbish!!!

If someone comes to my school with a Black belt in another style, they wear their black belt, period. They've earnt it, they deserve to wear it, do you not think your black belts have earnt their grades,..... so why think someone else hasn't earnt theirs!

If you attended a seminar with a load of blackbelts would you raise this same question, NO!!!

I see this same question time and time again.

Its frustrating that people do this, I also don't allow Dan Bars either, to Glorify their Dan grades as their own skills should dictate what level they are at not how many Dan Bars they've got!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I also don't allow Dan Bars either, to Glorify their Dan grades as their own skills should dictate what level they are at not how many Dan Bars they've got!!!

The funny thing is, this is the exact argument we hear from boxers and MMA guys about the belt system.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I also don't allow Dan Bars either, to Glorify their Dan grades as their own skills should dictate what level they are at not how many Dan Bars they've got!!!

The funny thing is, this is the exact argument we hear from boxers and MMA guys about the belt system.

What kind of belt do you have?

Canvas.

You like?

J.C. Penney. $ . .

I meant...

In Okinawa a belt means

no need rope hold up pants.

I am not a huge fan of belts, as they never truly represent a person's skill and knowledge. That said, if they are used I do believe that a person's rank should reflect the style being trained on the deck. I train in BJJ too and have no issues putting on a white belt. Heck, it is really nice to be a beginner again and humbling at that. I would never in a million years put on a karate belt rank when I train in BJJ. The two are completely different.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

I think ive heard of somewhere that had a special belt color for such cases. (I think it might have been white, with "white belts" actually wearing an offwhite unbleached belt.) Not sure where i heard it though.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I have one with bars and one plain black. If I go anywhere that's a totally different art I have a white one.

I think that is smart. However, I am curious as to how you define "totally different art"? I am probably going to visit a Goju Ryu school soon. Really the only kata we share is gekisai dai ichi. I plan on showing up with my belt and a white belt and asking the instructor what I should put on. Both styles are Okinawan Karate, but I do see them as being dramatically different in certain ways, yet the same.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

I think that in our system (Myself, Tallgeese, Masterpain, Groin Strike) we wear our black belts to schools within the same organization even though the arts are different. If we aren't affiliated with them, we wear a white belt.

Even then, if I'm not in our dojo, I don't feel 100% comfortable wearing my black belt. I feel that choosing to wear a white belt in another school is the same thing as saying "I'm here to learn and will attempt to pretend to not knowing anything unless you teach me."

For me, putting on that white belt is just a sign of respect and the willingness to learn. Having respect and self-control pretty much eliminates the need to be wearing a black belt anyhow. I don't need someone to show me respect based solely on belt color, nor will I "beat people up" because I'm more skilled than they are.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

I've Dan bars, and I'm tired of defending what our Soke made law, as well as being ridiculed, directly/indirectly, for having them.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!