• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long do you do Karate for?

And one can always relearn things that one has forgotten:-)

Looks like ones interest or point of view changes and art is seen in different light.

When you know more, you can learn more. If you have learned everything, I am very sorry for your lose.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should study your flavour of MA for as long as you need, if you wake up one day and can say that you "know" that style then you should maybe look harder in the mirror.

I favour Karate but am happy at my level to grab and dismiss bits from ANY other style or Art.

The more I learn the more I realise I don't know.

There is a saying that is something like whatever path you choose to get to the top of the mountain - the view is all the same.

Chopping and changing between styles is okay if you are not being fed enough but think about doing too many aprenticeships!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well Karate itself as in PURE Karate only, 8 years within a dojo.

As for how long have I used Karate and the skills I've learned from Karate in martial arts today? 6 years plus the 8 years from within the dojo, so 14 years.

I'll quote one of my instructors..."always continue to train!"

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

I do little things every day to try to keep different skills up. I try to observe more than the obvious things to help with awareness, and things like that.

I would say that karate or marshal art will never die because it goes from generation after generation only thing we have to do is make some modification in traditional way of learning karate and we can do it until your body gives physical support to do marshal arts but, what we need is interest to learn it.

• 2 weeks later...

When you say 'karate', which style? Emphasis on which aspect, do/jutsu? Which forms?

Going on a decade, I've pared my own practice down to four kata: naihanchi, passai, kushanku, and chinto, and I have so much work on with just those four (and I haven't really even started on anything deep in chinto!) that I plan on being busy well into my eighties. (I'm 32)

You may choose breadth or depth, but I will quote the master himself here:

"I fear not the man who has practiced a thousand kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick a thousand times". -Bruce Lee

Buddha is not on the mountain, man.