• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tschirnhaus, entelechy, monad...

Greetings!

I signed up for this forum because I am seeking advice about weight training (see this thread: http://www.karateforums.com/weighted-clothes-weight-training-vt43244.html )

I am a university student, and I will be turning 22 this summer. I study philosophy and literature (double-major) although my interests are wide-ranged with most intellectual subjects (i.e. mathematics, religious studies, history, physics, astronomy, classics, etc.). I plan on going to graduate school to get my Ph. D. in philosophy, focusing on early modern philosophy (particularly Spinoza and Leibniz). I am very interested in older Chinese culture (due to Leibniz, who was an expert in chinese culture, I also am fond of the Daodejing, and have committed the opening lines to memory in the original Chinese.)

I while back I trained in Kenpo for a couple of years, and am seriously considering going back into a martial art. I live in Providence, RI. Perhaps someone here could recommend a form that would fit me to study. I enjoy the discipline and personal meditative qualities of martial arts, and the whole martial arts culture emphasizes a healthy lifestyle in both mind and body. I would really like to train my own self-defense, my speed, stamina, and especially my endurance. As a serious full-time student, I don't have all the time in the world. However, I just might be able to fit in a martial art training. I seriously considered jiu-jitsu, since I love using my kicks. I would really prefer a martial art that is old. The principles that founded a martial art is of importance to me.

Anyway, that's me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome aboard KF! I look forward to hearing your view on things given your outlook on the arts.

Looks like there might be a baguazhuang teacher in East Providence, but I cant speak to anything about them. Had the list open for some random reason.

Look forward to hearing from you.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia