• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Side Kicks Below the Waste in MMA

Anyone see how Jones used the low side kicks agaist Belford? Then proceeded to drop Belford with a TKD type side kick to the liver? I didn't get to see the Jones-Evans fight, but it was reported that Jones also used the low side kicks to give Evans tons of trouble.

After watching it, the only logical conclusion as to why the low side kick isn't use is because everyone is exclusively learning Muay Thai where the side kick is not taught.

Some writers are even reporting that Jones used Belford a "push-kick" instead of a "side-kick." Frankly, I think that some of these writers have never seen a side-kick. So they're calling it a push-kick, which is what is taught in Muay Thai.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much brickshooter. Throw in the "leg kick to the head" commentary that you get from Joe Rogan and the lot...

I've seen more than a few sharp front kicks called "push kicks" as well. What commentators don't recognize they will force into the box of what they know.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• 6 months later...