• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favourite Shotokan Kata

BassaiNige

OSU, as You're in Manchester, please honour me with a visit to my dojo.

Solid post and yeah I thought the same things as you.

Mine was from Tang Soo Do to Wado Ryu so very very similar issues.

The Ashihara I practice is even more different, I found the use of Sabaki on Ashihara was different to the Wado version in performance of the techniques. I had to choose which path,

But definitely good to put a face to a name, You're always welcome, chat soon my friend

Thanks Dobber, I would love to some time, pm me the club name and address.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for shotokan kata, I like anything ending in "sho": kanku-sho, gojushiho-sho, bassai-sho.

I know it should be the other way around, being that the dai versions have greater application and larger movement, but I love the idea of one kata building on another by becoming smaller. As I practice the more compact techniques I have a feeling like I am exponentially increasing the potential energy in each motion. I feel like I am a watch spring wound, reliable, precise, yet ready to spring out as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When I did Shotokan, it was Empi.

However now that I'm learning alternative "bunkai" (applications) of the movements in kata's, I'm not sure now...

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

All shotokan katas are great but the ones sticking out for me is Heian shodan , Hian Godan ,Hangetsu ,Kankudai ,Kanku sho ,sochin ,Nijushiho ,Unsu ,tekki shodan, Empi

never give up !

To add to this thread;

Which of the 26 official kata listed for Shotokan would encompass everything, including ethics, ethos, techniques, history, lineages etc.

Please don't say Heian Series as this is apparent in virtually every style put there in one way shape or form.

OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

To add to this thread;

Which of the 26 official kata listed for Shotokan would encompass everything, including ethics, ethos, techniques, history, lineages etc.

Please don't say Heian Series as this is apparent in virtually every style put there in one way shape or form.

OSU

I would say either Bassai or Kanku Dai!

They pretty much encompass Shotokan and are a showcase for the style.

imo of course!

OSU