• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favourite Shotokan Kata

BassaiNige

Passed,but now very tired!

Nothing more intimidating than being graded by an 8th Dan! :o

A friend filmed my Bassai Dai, I hate that, you always find fault eh! :D The weakest bit of the kata was the double tetsui-uchi followed by low shuto half way through. the tetsui was too quick with not enough power and almost missed out the low shuto! :dodgy:

Edited by DoctorQui

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Passed,but now very tired!

Nothing more intimidating than being graded by an 8th Dan! :o

WELL DONE my friend, totally agree with you on that One

OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I guess your pre-dan or 1st kyu was like mine where i had to do all the heian katas,and tekki shodan and of course bassai dai,i had to re-take heian godan and bassai dai again,slightly off centre stances and lack of kime think it was,but got it 2nd time.

I guess your pre-dan or 1st kyu was like mine where i had to do all the heian katas,and tekki shodan and of course bassai dai,i had to re-take heian godan and bassai dai again,slightly off centre stances and lack of kime think it was,but got it 2nd time.

Exactly right, I have to do Bassai Dai again for next grading, Tekki Shodan and one or two (depending on how sadistic Sensei is feeling) Heian katas then for 1st Dan, all the Heians, Tekki Shodan and Bassai Dai.

I'm playing catch up with my Heians because I came from advanced Wado, so I started at 4th Kyu and straight into Godan so I never really had any direct tuition for Shodan,Nidan, Sandan or Yondan but I did know my Pinans which, depending on how you look at it has been a help AND a hinderance!

DoctorQui

Can I ask how you manage to differentiate between the styles of Wado and Shotokan?

For example Tekki Shodan AND Naihanchi Kata, they are the same but different and the Pinan v Heian Kata's

I at the time of studying Wado Ryu AND Shoto-Kan but couldn't see me being able to differentiate the Kata so I applaud you for that.

OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

DoctorQui

Can I ask how you manage to differentiate between the styles of Wado and Shotokan?

For example Tekki Shodan AND Naihanchi Kata, they are the same but different and the Pinan v Heian Kata's

I at the time of studying Wado Ryu AND Shoto-Kan but couldn't see me being able to differentiate the Kata so I applaud you for that.

OSU

If I'm honest Dobber, it was bloody awkward! In a way I wish I had no knowledge at all. Those subtle differences between Pinan and Heian, and in some cases they are very subtle, were a bit of a nightmare at first! I was also surprised that Kanku dai (kushanku in Wado) is not taught until you are 1st Dan where as in Wado its a 4th Kyu kata!

I was learning Chinto (Wado Kata) before I moved across the pennines from West Yorks to Greater Manchester and there is quite a divide in that respect. Wado is rare over here as Shotokan is rare over there!

Anyway, the biggest difference for me was the much wider stances for Zenkuts and a huge emphasis on the use of Kokuts. This was particularly difficult when Wado puts much emphasis Nikoashi Dachi when in Shuto, as well as less power in the Shuto which, in Wado is more of a light deflecting block.

Naihanchi as you mentioned, for example, is almost identical to Tekki Shodan exept its lower and wider. You would think that this would not make much difference but it really did for me!

To conclude, I do find myself from time to time falling into Wado stances during Shotokan training, and I'm sure that if my Sensei carried a Bo, he would be beating me with it! :lol:

That said, Wado is a lovely style and I do hope to go back to it one day, but right now, I am having a bit of an affair with Shotokan which is a powerful and solid style which suits my build and speed so I'll be doing this until at least 1st Dan!

OSU, as You're in Manchester, please honour me with a visit to my dojo.

Solid post and yeah I thought the same things as you.

Mine was from Tang Soo Do to Wado Ryu so very very similar issues.

The Ashihara I practice is even more different, I found the use of Sabaki on Ashihara was different to the Wado version in performance of the techniques. I had to choose which path,

But definitely good to put a face to a name, You're always welcome, chat soon my friend