• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thrust vs. circular

We all know they fulfill very different roles. The question of which is more powerful is something up to debate and, IMO, depends a great deal on what the individual defines as "power". Is it the initial force of the impact or the ability to maintain that force throughout the entirety of the technique? Is it shock value or penetrative ability? What type of technique do you consider most powerful and why?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In my opinion, the most important attribute of any strike is its ability to be the most effecient and effictive manner of reaching a specific target. The role of circular attacks for me then, are to reach places and to enter at angles that a straight strike would not allow.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

In my opinion, the most important attribute of any strike is its ability to be the most effecient and effictive manner of reaching a specific target. The role of circular attacks for me then, are to reach places and to enter at angles that a straight strike would not allow.

I agree. It's a tool, the idea is to match the tool (linear or circular) to a need. Some application will demand one or the other for effectiveness.

Further, it depends on what I'm looking to do, control-wise, to the other individual. If I want him to double over so that I can better effect head control, a linear attack low is better. If I want him to turn away and thus be less efficient at hitting me with HIS linear strikes, I might deploy a hook punch (circular) to get that body presentation.

The most powerful technique, shadowspawn, IMO is the one that accomplishes whatever it is I want done to his body. It goes to control, not just the amount of pressure I can generate with x weapon.

We all know they fulfill very different roles. The question of which is more powerful is something up to debate and, IMO, depends a great deal on what the individual defines as "power". Is it the initial force of the impact or the ability to maintain that force throughout the entirety of the technique? Is it shock value or penetrative ability? What type of technique do you consider most powerful and why?

Nice topic btw!!

Imho, I believe that it's the initial force providing that the force penetrated said target.

Now, it's up to the practitioner and not up to any said technique(s) as to what's most powerful or not. If Greg and I execute the same technique, it won't be the technique that will be powerful by its namesake, but it will be powerful because of how Greg or I executed said technique.

Is a thrust much more powerful than a snap? Again, it depends on the practitioner because, imho, thrust/snap are powerful techniques in themselves.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Hmm I might not have been entirely clear in OP. Let me rephrase:

Every technique, whether it be thrusting or circular in motion, striking or deflecting, receiving or intercepting has its own place and application. I'm sure as martial artists we each know this. What I'd like to know is what techniques you personally would use say, against an opponent who throws a winding haymaker on wet concrete, slips and stumbles with his backtowards you to finish them off. As in what technique is your "knockout technique" that you feel is most powerful and why?

@sensei8: True enough. I was actually trying to gauge popular opinion and reasoning behind why people consider some techniques more powerful than others though and not necessarily to ask the stereotypical "What's the best technique?" question LOL

Frankly, in that situation, I can't imagine that anything would work much better than a rasteira sweep or benção para negativa which would be a... sacrifice thrust kick? The concrete is wet. He's not necessarily needing some huge mortal blow. -I- have to worry about the concrete being wet too, which means i'd rather just help him off his feet with a sweep or push kick while getting a third or fourth foot of mine on the ground so I know I won't beat myself up with the weather. My two heaviest hitting impact techniques are probably a half-moon kick - circular - and chapa de costas - linear - both with three feet on the ground and both powered by a large body drop.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Do you happen to have video, Justice? I'd given how vastly different your art is from most of us I'd love to have a visual on what you're talking about.

Not stored of me; i'm on Skype not talking to anyone at the moment outdoors at the moment, or I can dig up something tolerably close on youtube, given all the variant substyles.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Frankly, in that situation, I can't imagine that anything would work much better than a rasteira sweep or benção para negativa which would be a... sacrifice thrust kick? The concrete is wet. He's not necessarily needing some huge mortal blow. -I- have to worry about the concrete being wet too, which means i'd rather just help him off his feet with a sweep or push kick while getting a third or fourth foot of mine on the ground so I know I won't beat myself up with the weather. My two heaviest hitting impact techniques are probably a half-moon kick - circular - and chapa de costas - linear - both with three feet on the ground and both powered by a large body drop.
Not entirely sure what you mean by "three feet". Are you referring to using your hands as bases while you kick with one leg?

@tallgeese: Just realized your sig. That wouldn't happen to be the same Ohana Martial Arts stationed in Hawaii would it? If so, I've attended a couple OMA tournaments in the past.