• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thigh Kicks, Shin Blocks!

Dobbersky

If you can go for the inside of the thigh, I don't see why you couldn't go for the groin instead.

The groin is a viable target but the title of the thread is thigh kicks after all. A kick to the cookies isn't always the finisher people make it out to be a lot of times as well. Striking major nerves on the other hand is a very effective tactic.

As per the outside of the thigh, it does have its merits, but I personally don't think I would use it as a bread and butter technique. I don't usually trust techniques that rely on pain alone to incapacitate. Some people have a very high pain threshold and a kick to the thigh might just tick them off.

Attacking the outer thigh is one of the main targets police officers go for (whether by knee strike or baton strike typically). That's a favorite target because it's so effective. The last time I actually used a strike to the thigh with a low kick we ended up having to carry our prisoner both to the patrol wagon and then into the jail because he claimed I broke his leg. His leg was fine it was just the charley horse he got that made him think otherwise.

Well it doesn't necessarily have to strike directly at their nads or come up between the legs. The pelvic bone is another viable target. And even if it doesn't finish them, it's usually enough to get them to double over at least a bit so you actually can follow up with your right hand finisher.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with a kick to the cookies is that most males automatically protect their groin to some degree and if it's not a life or death encounter you are striking a target which can in all likelihood cause serious injury and/or death if you hit with enough power to stop them. Seriously injuring or killing some drunken slob in a bar fight isn't a good self protection strategy.

The nice thing about large nerves is they tend to be very effective no matter how large the person is and they don't cause any lasting injury. If you've ever been dead legged in school you'll know firsthand how effective something like that can be. If it's a fight for your life by all means do what you have to do but in most cases it won't be so it pays to have techniques that won't cause lasting injuries to your opponents in case it's someone you don't want to hurt seriously (e.g. drunken friend or angry co-worker).

The problem with a kick to the cookies is that most males automatically protect their groin to some degree and if it's not a life or death encounter you are striking a target which can in all likelihood cause serious injury and/or death if you hit with enough power to stop them. Seriously injuring or killing some drunken slob in a bar fight isn't a good self protection strategy.

The nice thing about large nerves is they tend to be very effective no matter how large the person is and they don't cause any lasting injury. If you've ever been dead legged in school you'll know firsthand how effective something like that can be. If it's a fight for your life by all means do what you have to do but in most cases it won't be so it pays to have techniques that won't cause lasting injuries to your opponents in case it's someone you don't want to hurt seriously (e.g. drunken friend or angry co-worker).

Yes it is a lethal technique. But then again, I would say that in a true self-defense situation, that isn't exactly something you should be most concerned about. Strike to the eyes, throat, groin, knee, etc. what ever it takes to get out of there in one piece. Once you neutralize the threat, get the hell out of there. Whenever there is no danger, that is the time to run. Whether that comes before or after the kick to the cookies will determine whether or not you had to fight in the first place.

Still as you said, they do have their place. Like if two of your good friends are gonna beef or if your brother in law wants to beat down your best friend for sleeping with his wife or something, a thigh kick can be a good way to diffuse the situation. Still that's not really a self-defense situation and it would require you to stick your neck out and put yourself in harm's way which is actually the complete opposite of self-defense. But the question of whether I personally would use an inside leg kick, no. I'd probably go for the groin as my primary target when using a low circular kick.

I understand, As a LEO I operate under different rules of engagement so I need to run the whole gamut from passive control to deadly force. Legally I have to stop the fight as quickly as possible using the least amount of force necessary. In this lawsuit-happy world we all need to have appropriate responses or risk facing civil or even criminal charges.

I understand, As a LEO I operate under different rules of engagement so I need to run the whole gamut from passive control to deadly force. Legally I have to stop the fight as quickly as possible using the least amount of force necessary. In this lawsuit-happy world we all need to have appropriate responses or risk facing civil or even criminal charges.

Glad you are on the good guy's side. I can't imagine how much of a challenge being a police officer would be in today's day and age of absurd lawsuits and bizarre rules.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

I don't think most people realize how much danger LEOs have to put themselves in every day, or how many restrictions they have to operate under what could get them killed. I'm glad when LEOs train in some fort of self defense outside of the piddly training most departments give them.

Got to learn a lot about what is and isn't reasonable force in class the other night, from one of our LEO instructors. It was a good thing, because one student didn't realize that, if you take a knife away from your attacker and then stab them with it, the attacker then becomes a victim of assault with a deadly weapon.

Then there's how much you can do when the person is standing and coming after you, as opposed to what you can do when they are on the ground and not coming after you any more, as opposed to what you can do if they still have the weapon in their hand or under them out of your sight as opposed to when they have been disarmed and are not reaching for the weapon. Then there's the situation and who you are versus them and what's going on... there are some real grey areas too.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

I don't think most people realize how much danger LEOs have to put themselves in every day, or how many restrictions they have to operate under what could get them killed. I'm glad when LEOs train in some fort of self defense outside of the piddly training most departments give them.

Got to learn a lot about what is and isn't reasonable force in class the other night, from one of our LEO instructors. It was a good thing, because one student didn't realize that, if you take a knife away from your attacker and then stab them with it, the attacker then becomes a victim of assault with a deadly weapon.

Then there's how much you can do when the person is standing and coming after you, as opposed to what you can do when they are on the ground and not coming after you any more, as opposed to what you can do if they still have the weapon in their hand or under them out of your sight as opposed to when they have been disarmed and are not reaching for the weapon. Then there's the situation and who you are versus them and what's going on... there are some real grey areas too.

I think it is all hogwash. To me, anyone who initiates force against another is the only one responsible for what happens to anyone including themselves. I don't get turning a victim into a criminal, it is completely illogical. I am not saying to disregard current laws, only stating that some current law (regulations) are absurd.

Matsubayashi Ryu

It also avoids a lot of issues with "they tried to attack me, therefore it was completely reasonable to break every limb of their body then cut them twenty-eight times with a knife over the next ten minutes while they were helpless before shooting them in the head just as the police and ambulances arrived!" problems that your interpretation above would consider completely justified.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

The main thing to keep in mind is once you have a chance to escape use it. Run away to a place of safety and notify the police immediately of the incident.

I think that is just plain smart no matter the law.

Matsubayashi Ryu