• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It could happen to you: protect yourself from false accusati

http://www.local10.com/news/Tae-kwon-do-teacher-accused-of-molestation/-/1717324/14749854/-/110o557z/-/index.html

Now if this is true, its disgusting and I hope he rots in jail. But there have been cases of teachers (both in martial arts and schools) and other adults in a position of authority being wrongly accused. And not just by children but by adults too. In such situations like this, even if you are found not guilty it can still ruin your's and your family's life.

So as instructors what do you do, if anything, to protect yourself from false accusations? Do you have some sort of system in place? Do you always make sure a 3rd party is present? Do you go to the extreme of having CCTV? What would you do if wrongly accused?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There have been a few high profile martial artists accused and some convicted of similar events, I personally believe in the innocent until proven guilty and anonymity should be compulsory unless a conviction has been given, as you said several "false" accusations have ruined manycareers as the press etc are happy to front page things like this but they never front page the proven innocent story after!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

In today's day and age, I think it is important to never be in a room alone with students. It is also a good idea to encourage students to have their parents stay and watch class and if you can afford it, install cameras to videotape everything that happens. There was a local martial artist in my area just sent to jail for a very long time for molestation. Makes me very concerned about false accusations. If anyone does do this for real, they should be castrated and sent to jail.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

So as instructors what do you do, if anything, to protect yourself from false accusations? Do you have some sort of system in place? Do you always make sure a 3rd party is present? Do you go to the extreme of having CCTV? What would you do if wrongly accused?

Good topic!!

My moral compass is quite grounded. I don't allow myself to get in these type of situations in any shape, way, and/or form.

I always have a 3rd party present; always have and always will. No office consultations with any students/parents without a 3rd party present. No students/parents allowed to my home without my wife there. I won't even answer my door if I'm alone. Besides, I don't allow the instructor/student maxims to ever be violated.

Our Hombu does have some CCTV in key areas, and not in any inappropriate areas. Most of our CCTV covers the parking lots, every entrance/exit, the retail store, the lobby, every hallway, the trash can outside back, every training area, and the main dojo.

What would I do? I'd fight it to prove my innocence with every bit of my being, I'd let the true facts speak for themselves. But once the damage is already done, doubt might still linger in such a way that I'd be tainted, and in that, no one would want to be around me.

Guard myself from every possibility of any inappropriateness across the board!! Still, no matter what cautions I take, nothing I do can guarantee that I'd never be falsely accused of anything. Look, in the Shindokan circle, I'm quite well known; I'm in a high profile position, so I can't go about to and fro unnoticed at all times, it's not conducive of my position.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!