• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Base skills

I have had a lot of practice falling down, flinging myself down, or being pushed down for a number of years, in a certain method.

I stopped into an Aikido class, because I want a bit more of a feel of throwing and being thrown. Worked a technique or two which involved a back roll. When being shown the back roll I could do it fine. When being an uke however, two things happened:

First, I would immediately try to fall in queda de negativa-rins rather than back roll. I didn't feel like I had any trouble falling this way, but it wasn't the movement i'd intended to do.

Second, because I was trying to do back roll, I would slop up my breakfall. Several times I would be dropping toward the floor, turn to tumble out, and freeze up with a worry that it might be disrespectful. this tended to result in my shoulder taking a bit more strain than it should have. (not a horrible amount, but enough to make me realize I was doing a lawn dart impression instead of a breakfall.)

So what should I do for falling in this case? I don't want to be disrespectful or seem like a know-it-all, but i'm worried that if I try doing prescribed rolls that I might hurt myself from confusion alone.

The rolls are, by the way, a bad habit in my classes; we usually start learning the techniques which are used as breakfalls during the first month on hardwood or concrete and transition them into other techniques that need us to have two or three feet on the ground. (Replacing 'control' with 'adaptivity' comes in time.) A roll wouldn't be optimal in the environment we focus on, so it's not the technique we use.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I guess it depends on how much you want to assimilate to the class. If you really want to get the feel of what they are doing, I'd continue to give it a go at learning the alternate that they use.

I'd be very partner selective while in the phase;however, and might explain my concerns to the coach there. You're not a newbie to the combat arts scene, you're concerns should be taken with consideration. Maybe he can see that you're with someone who can also compensate while you're getting the hang of it.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

First off, self-preservation should never be viewed as disrespectful. That said, I would talk to the instructor and inform him of your experiences, and what you usually do when falling/rolling out of something. He shouldn't take offense to this.

From there, if you are really looking to get into the Aikido experience, the instructor should have you go over some basic rolling and breakfall instruction with you, so you can become familiar with it. Also, most instructors are good about demonstrating the techniques, and letting the uke know whether they are rolling or breakfalling out of it. That there should give you some guidance.

If all else fails, don't let someone's perception of respect keep you from protecting yourself in the class setting. If a flip bails you out uninjured, then do it. Then maybe slow the next move down, so you can work on the projection part of the technique, and thus how to land.

Enjoy Aikido! Its great fun!